Clogged or broken pipes maybe?

May 14, 2012
Last year I learned about chemistry and now this year I have a new issue, I think it is a clogged line or (hopefully not) a break in the line/pipe.
• Last year the pool closed fine.
• When opening the pool there was some difficulty primeing the pump.
o It would get started and then stop and have an air void (meaning like it was repriming)
o Then after adjusting some of the valves I got it running continueously.
• I then put the valves to all open. This way I could hear the water from the slide water hitting the pool water and know that the pump is running.
o After 15 minutes the water I no longer heard water hitting the pool water.
o I could adjust the valves and make all the water go to the slide but when keeping all valves on no water would go on the slide.
o I could shut off motor and then turn the motor back on and the slide would work (a little meaning flow at a minimal and only for about 5 minutes
o Or I could pull the filter and clean it and reprime to get it going and it will last for about 15 minutes again before flow stops on the slide again.
• Also worth noting is that normally when I open the filter basket that it will empty or drain and it does not do that now.
• The heater is also registering “no flow”
• The pool is too cloudy to see the bottom to see if there is dirt or sediment
Anyone’s help or comments are greatly appreciated. Or if you know a pool repair person in Michigan, if that is needed then please let me know.
Thank you,
Mitch

Hmm 40 views but no comments......not a good sign. :-(

I am going to add more information and hope for some response.

Find attached a picture of the complete set up. The left red handle controls the slide. The center black handle controls between jets and slide. The right red handle controls between floor jet and two side jets.

The ideas that I have not tried but will try tomorrow are the following:
- Mark the water level to detect losing water
- Put additional Magic Lube on motor filter bastet seal, filter seal and any other seals
- Vacuum pool
- Remove the filter and see how long it will run without the filter

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 79
  • photo2.JPG
    photo2.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 79
  • photo3.JPG
    photo3.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 79
You are correct, I should have included my signature with the pertinent information. I got excited to try to get some answers because I was/am nervous about a large expense for broken/clogged pipes for a relatively new pool. Attached you will see my equipment info. I will remeasure the chemicals tonight.

I live in Michigan

Clean filter pressure measures around 20 and pressure when water on slide slows/stops is 25 to 28.

Thanks for your response and comments!

Mitch
Michigan
8000 gal, IG, Fiberglass, Jandy CS 200 Cartridge Filter

If the clean filter pressure is the same as what it was last year when everything was working properly, it is just an issue of a dirty filter. As the filter gets dirty flow rate will slow down. If it is too much reduction in flow rate, you just have to clean the filter sooner. Especially if you are fighting an algae bloom which can easily happen when you are opening a pool.

BTW, you can add your equipment list to your permanent signature via the control panel:

ucp.php?i=profile&mode=signature

Thank you. I have added that to my signature. Thats much easier.

I also agree about the pressure and the filter which is why I wanted to try the experiment removing the filter. I checked my notes from last year and it looks like the starting pressure was 11. Starting pressure not after cleaning a filter is around 20 and get up to 25-28. So this shows that there is an issue.

Also already thought there might be something bigger or more complicated is because of the difficulty priming it on startup and because usually when I open my filter to clean it, the motor filter basket will drain and it is not doing that.

Is there a method or procedure for cleaning or clearing clogged pipes? I read about something that attached to a garden hose but the article was not clear.

Higher than normal pressure usually indicates a return side issue and it is usually the filter and since you just opened the pool, I suspect the cartridge filter is still dirty.

Try cleaning the cartridge and soak it overnight in a garbage can filled with water and TSP. Here are some more details on best way to clean:

re-how-to-clean-a-cartridge-filter-t4465.html

I added some magic lube to the motor filter basket seal and pulled the filter and those two things achieved pressures from last year at about 11 PSI and constant flow from the slide.

Soapy water on all my pipe connections/valves was the next thing I was going to try but did not need to do. And after getting this running and my training from last year I was able to get the pool clean in 2.5 days.

Now to tackle the copper stains.
FC 4
CC .5
PH 7.5
TA 110
CYA 30
CH 290

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.