Water Appears Balanced But Pool Water Cloudy

Mar 30, 2013
My pool is making me very confused. My test results are coming up just fine. ph is very slightly higher than usual at about 7.4. It is normally around 7.2. Chlorine is 3 ppm. Calcium is fine as well.I regularly maintain with a maintenance dose of algaecide once a week. Everything appears to be balanced, but the pool is still cloudy. The filter has been running just about 24/7 for the last three days, but the problem isn't going away. The pool isn't so cloudy that I can't see the floor. I can still see the pool floor it just looks "faded" because of the water clarity. What could be causing this? Is it safe to swim if the water is reading balanced, or should I stay out?

CH...that is Calcium Hardness right? I am still new to all of this. hahaha Also, I am using strips right now. I ordered a better kit, but I haven't received it yet. So, I am stuck with this until it arrives.

Your FC is too low for your cya level. You should not have let it drop below 8 ppm FC. My guess is that you have algae. First thing to do is reduce cya down to 50 ppm by doing a partial drain refill.

Linen is right - your FC was too low for your CYA. Correct as linen suggested.

A couple of other details...
klandaverde said:
FC=3 and Total Chlorine is 2
This cannot be. If FC=3, then TC has to equal at least 3. FC+CC=TC. Is it possible that the "Total Chlorine" of 2 is the Combined Chlorine amount? That result would be consistent with an algae or other organic type of outbreak and indicates the need to shock the pool using the Shock Process (see link in my sig). You will need a good test kit to do this properly.

klandaverde said:
I regularly maintain with a maintenance dose of algaecide once a week.
This is totally unnecessary and is draining your wallet. Depending on what type of algaecide you are using, it could also be adding metals to the pool water and that can result in stains.

Focus on clearing the water by using the Shock Process. Once that is complete, then make sure your FC stays in the range for your CYA (see Chlorine/CYA Chart link in my sig). Proper chlorination will prevent algae or other organic contamination without the need for algaecides or other unnecessary chemicals.

Once your pool water is cleaned up and crystal clear, you should be able to cut back on your pump run time as well.

Thanks BoDarville! I didn't think that this was right. I HATE these strips, but until the good test kit gets here, I am kind of stuck with it. So, should I do a partial drain still and then shock? Also, could the algaecide be a cause of the cloudiness, or is it strictly the chlorine being too low for the CYA?

Lower CYA by draining first.

Then shock using liquid bleach/chlorine.

Do NOT use pucks or "shock" in a pouch. That will cause your CYA to back up.

Read, read, read! It can be overwhelming but the more you read and ask questions the easier it will be.

Once you get your test kit you will be on the road to a clear pool again!

Kim

klandaverde said:
Okay. Thanks :) I guess I didn't realize that 8 ppm was a safe level for FC. I thought it was supposed to be around 3. Thanks! I just learned something very important!
Forget what you thought you knew before. Follow the Chlorine / CYA Chart. With CYA in the water, most of the chlorine is bound to it and essentially not reactive so higher FC levels are quite safe. All of the FC/CYA combinations in the chart have roughly the same amount of active chlorine that disinfects, kills algae, oxidizes bather waste, reacts with skin, swimsuits and hair, and outgasses (smells). The active chlorine is at a very low level equivalent to only 0.06 ppm FC with no CYA, but that's plenty for fast disinfection and keeping the pool clear of algae.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.