New pump, no idea what rpm should be

cflannagan

Gold Supporter
Apr 2, 2011
Palm Harbor, Florida
Probably a subjective question, but I'm trying to figure out what kind of RPM numbers I should be using for our new variable pump (see my newly updated profile signature below). I guess the goal is to find the lowest RPM we can use and also have our pool properly operating but I have no idea how to reach that number. What variables do I look at for determining the answer to that question?

Right now I think our pump is running in neighbor of 3000 rpm, and I'm concern that it's consuming a lot of watts than what is necessary.

Thanks in advance

For maximum cost savings you should run the pump around 1000 RPM, perhaps a little higher, for filtering. You will need to use a higher speed for the spa and probably for the Baracuda Zodiac MX-8 as well. But for just filtering and circulation 1000 RPM usually works well. Start by trying out 1000 RPM and check to see if the skimmer still skims effectively. If the skimmer stops skimming you may need to turn that up a little. You will need to experiment to find out what speeds are optimal for the spa and Baracuda Zodiac MX-8. In each case you want the lowest speed that still works well.

JasonLion said:
For maximum cost savings you should run the pump around 1000 RPM, perhaps a little higher, for filtering. You will need to use a higher speed for the spa and probably for the Baracuda Zodiac MX-8 as well. But for just filtering and circulation 1000 RPM usually works well. Start by trying out 1000 RPM and check to see if the skimmer still skims effectively. If the skimmer stops skimming you may need to turn that up a little. You will need to experiment to find out what speeds are optimal for the spa and Baracuda Zodiac MX-8. In each case you want the lowest speed that still works well.

How do I tell if the skimmer has stopped skimming? No debris collection in the skimmer basket, basically?

Ok -

Right now it's set to 2500 rpm - but in order to get pressure numbers reading of 3.5-4.0 for Zodiac MX8, I have to turn handle to block some on the "skimmer" (thus more will come through the "vac" line, which my MX8 is connected to). Will keep eye on skimmer, whether's it's collecting or not.

However, for some reason, our MX8 hasn't been able to climb walls at all, whereas it used to be able to on our original pool surface (plaster), at same reading (3.5-4.0). It just struggles at the start of wall and gives up, so it basically only does its cleaning around the bottom of pool, nothing for our walls. This is worrying for us. We're not sure if this means MX8 might need servicing - like new tread bands (wheels), or something else.

If we increase pressure reading to 6+ on MX8 it does finally climb up our walls, but 6+ is way above what was recommended by manufacturer.

As far as we can tell, there's no "stuttering" or stuck debris interfering with our MX8 operation inside the unit.

Any ideas?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.