So Should I Never Use An Algaecide?

Apr 23, 2013
According to what I read in Pool School, the only Treatment for Algae is to Shock with Chlorine. I have used Algaecide 60 in the past for a green pool & it and shock seemed to work.
Is this right? Never use an Algaecide? Thanks.

Algaecide has some positive effect but it is not nearly as effective as chlorine. Using chlorine will save you some bucks and be very effective.

To say chlorine is the ONLY treatment for algae is misleading.....but it is the best by far.

Ok. But with a high CYA that would take a lot of Chlorine, I'm thinking. I have used Algaecide in the past & it always seemed to help. I will try to use the strictly Chlorine method in the future.
The less chemicals the better is my thinking. My CYA is not really confirmed yet. I had a guy at Leslie's Pool Store check it on Friday & he said CYA is 90. Before that I got figures from Ace Hardware of 133.
I'm getting my own Taylor T-2005 Test Kit on Tuesday & I will test myself. Thanks for the info.

dino1956 said:
Ok. But with a high CYA that would take a lot of Chlorine, I'm thinking. I have used Algaecide in the past & it always seemed to help. I will try to use the strictly Chlorine method in the future.
The less chemicals the better is my thinking. My CYA is not really confirmed yet. I had a guy at Leslie's Pool Store check it on Friday & he said CYA is 90. Before that I got figures from Ace Hardware of 133.
I'm getting my own Taylor T-2005 Test Kit on Tuesday & I will test myself. Thanks for the info.
The K-2006 is the one you want. The 2005 doesn't have the FAS-DPD test, so you won't be able to measure FC above 5, and if CYA is that high, your minimum FC should always be above 7. You'll be working blind right from the start.

Yeah, you need a service type test kit and pool stores typically don't have them because they want you to use THEIR service. tftestkits.net has the Taylor K-2006 and the TF-100. You want one or the other really.

dino1956:

There are a few circumstances when an algaecide is justified. One is if you are doing an ascorbic acid (AA) treatment to eliminate metal stains. Since this requires FC to get to 0 in order for the ascorbic acid to work properly, an algaecide can be used during this treatment to prevent algae. Another instance where it has some value is when you will be away for the better part of a week or so and the pool is left unattended. Adding algaecide can provide some cushion if the chlorine levels drop below the recommended level for your CYA while you are away.

In either case, the recommended algaecide is a Polyquat 60-based product which is sold by various distributors. The active ingredient is: poly [oxyethylene (dimethyliminio) ethylene (dimethyliminio) ethylene dichloride]. Look for a 60% concentration of this ingredient.

Under no circumstances should a copper-based algaecide be used - not even for the situations described above.

Thanks for all the info. I once learned the hard. After Hurricane Ivan the Pool was Black. I poured in a gallon of Copper Based Algaecide & it stained the entire bottom of the Deep End. Live & Learn. I'll keep a bottle of what you recommended on hand. Just in case.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.