First Test Results - New AZ Pool

JimboAZ

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 17, 2012
Maricopa, AZ
Hi Everyone,

Pool info in the signature. We just filled our new pool mid last week and the startup guy came on Friday. He added acid and threw in the tabs and CYA (into skimmmer). Not really sure what type of startup he did outside of that.

I tested the water (TFTest kit) after he left and here are the results:

5/10/13
FC = 1
CC = 0
TA = 80
CH = 200
CYA = the black dot never went away
PH = didn't test (see below)

5/11/13
FC = 1
CC = 0
TA = 90
CH = didn't measure again
CYA = the black dot went away when the tube was completely full
PH = 7.5

The pool calculator tells me to add:
100 oz of 8.25 bleach
52 oz of baking soda
59 oz of stabilizer

When the guy left he said to just keep tabs in the skimmer and that's it! I'll be following the BBB method, and I've read pool school, but I'm still not sure what to add at this point. Do I add the stuff according to the pool calculator? Or, since this is brand new should I just leave the tabs in for a bit and let things rise gradually? Looks like I shouldn't go crazy adding CYA since that takes a little while to register. Right?

Thanks, I'm looking forward to starting with BBB and keeping the pool in tip top shape!

Pool build thread -> 4-13-time-lapse-video-decking-new-pool-build-phoenix-t54925.html

JimboAZ:

Trichlor tabs should never be placed in the skimmer. Over time, the high concentration of chlorine and acid will accelerate wear on your skimmer and pump seals. In fact, I would stop using the pucks in general immediately and switch to liquid chlorine or bleach as your chlorine source.

The items needing attention are your FC and CYA. Your current CYA is around 20 if you can fill the tube up all the way before the dot disappears. I would get the FC up to between 3 and 5 to start with and increase the CYA to around 50 depending how much of the Arizona sun your pool gets each day. If it is in full sun for much of the day I would get the CYA to between 50 and 60. Otherwise aim for around 40-50. As your CYA increases, you will need to increase the FC accordingly. Refer to the Pool Calculator or the Chlorine/CYA chart here: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock

JimboAZ said:
Do I add the stuff according to the pool calculator?
Yes. And BTW, you are correct in assuming that CYA should be added slowly as it takes several days to a week for the CYA to register on a test. It is much easier to add a little more than it is to get rid of it if too much was added.

Don't adjust TA with Baking Soda. Know that your PH, TA and CH will probably adjust on their own at first as the surface cures. Keep an eye on ph and if it creeps up past 7.8 you should lower it to 7.2 with Muratic Acid. Read the article in pool school about starting up new plaster. Enjoy your new pool! :)

BoDarville said:
JimboAZ:

Trichlor tabs should never be placed in the skimmer. Over time, the high concentration of chlorine and acid will accelerate wear on your skimmer and pump seals. In fact, I would stop using the pucks in general immediately and switch to liquid chlorine or bleach as your chlorine source.

The items needing attention are your FC and CYA. Your current CYA is around 20 if you can fill the tube up all the way before the dot disappears. I would get the FC up to between 3 and 5 to start with and increase the CYA to around 50 depending how much of the Arizona sun your pool gets each day. If it is in full sun for much of the day I would get the CYA to between 50 and 60. Otherwise aim for around 40-50. As your CYA increases, you will need to increase the FC accordingly. Refer to the Pool Calculator or the Chlorine/CYA chart here: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock

JimboAZ said:
Do I add the stuff according to the pool calculator?
Yes. And BTW, you are correct in assuming that CYA should be added slowly as it takes several days to a week for the CYA to register on a test. It is much easier to add a little more than it is to get rid of it if too much was added.

Thanks for the response! The startup guy actually added the pucks to a floater and the CYA to the skimmer. My bad grammar confused things!

I'll start with the bleach, but how do I know when to add CYA? Since the dot disappears eventually, but didn't yesterday, should I still wait a few days before adding more?

frustratedpoolmom said:
Don't adjust TA with Baking Soda. Know that your PH, TA and CH will probably adjust on their own at first as the surface cures. Keep an eye on ph and if it creeps up past 7.8 you should lower it to 7.2 with Muratic Acid. Read the article in pool school about starting up new plaster. Enjoy your new pool! :)

Thanks! I'll focus on the FC and CYA for now and see how the other levels adjust.

JimboAZ said:
I'll start with the bleach, but how do I know when to add CYA? Since the dot disappears eventually, but didn't yesterday, should I still wait a few days before adding more?
I would, especially if the pool guy added some undetermined amount. I would wait about a week from the last known addition of CYA and then test for it again and see where you stand. I'm very conservative with CYA even with a pool that gets full Texas sun for much of the day. I'm currently running at 40 ppm. It is much easier to add a little more CYA if needed than it is to get rid of it. Plus, I like to leave a little room if I need to temporarily use trichlor pucks for vacations when no one is there to tend to the pool.

BoDarville said:
JimboAZ said:
I would, especially if the pool guy added some undetermined amount. I would wait about a week from the last known addition of CYA and then test for it again and see where you stand. I'm very conservative with CYA even with a pool that gets full Texas sun for much of the day. I'm currently running at 40 ppm. It is much easier to add a little more CYA if needed than it is to get rid of it. Plus, I like to leave a little room if I need to temporarily use trichlor pucks for vacations when no one is there to tend to the pool.

Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for. I'll give it a week and test CYA again. We only used pucks in our first pool and eventually the levels got too high so with BBB we'll be able to avoid that. I'll post updated levels in a day or two if I'm unsure about what to add. :-D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Today's readings are:
FC = 1
PH = 8
CYA = almost disappeared when the tube was full, yesterday it seemed like it had disappeared when the liquid was all the way to the top.

Based on pool school I'll add another 100 oz of bleach (did that yesterday evening also) and 30 oz of muriatic acid.

I didn't take the rest of the levels since things are so wacky right now. Still trying to get FC and CYA stable. I do have the bag of CYA that the guy added so you can see how much is left. I believe that's the only CYA he put in but I'm still going to try to find out on Monday.

Anything else I should do at this point besides the bleach and muriatic acid? Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1953.JPG
    IMG_1953.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 75
OK, here are today's results. Can someone please double check me to make sure I'm making the right moves?

FC = 3.5
CC = 0
TA = 80
CH = 250
CYA = the black dot doesn't still doesn't go away
PH = between 7.2-7.5

The PB said they added 2-3 lbs of CYA on 5/10. Still not sure if I should add more CYA or give it some time.

I was definitely going to add more bleach (about 17 oz according to the calculator) but not sure about the other levels. The PB says to just leave the tablets in and it'll be fine until they come to do the orientation (on 5/16). I guess it's a little late for that!

3 lbs of stabilizer would only add 16ppm of CYA ... so you likely should add more, I would add another 3 lbs (since in AZ you are eventually going to want to be up around 50ppm) ... then you have to wait a week to test it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.