What would you do?

HAF

May 10, 2013
I'm brand new to TFP and have spent much of yesterday and today reading through the site. What a wealth of information and so many wonderful people helping each other. I hope someone might be able to give me some guidance. We are in the final stage of having a small (13 x 26') kidney shaped pool built for us.

We chose the company who is building the pool because of their creativity, reputation and quality. Every pool we saw was beautiful and no one ever had a complaint. They have been in business for 15 years. We signed the contract on December 17, 2012. They chalk lined the dimensions on Jan 7 and started excavation on Jan 21. We were told that the pool would be complete in 10-12 weeks. It seemed like a long amount of time to me, but never having built a pool before, we relied on the company owner's explanation of the timeline.

As the project progressed, we began to realize the real reason for the length of time was that there were long gaps between anything getting done. Sometimes a week or two would elapse between anyone showing up. Granted, we have had an unusually rainy Spring, even by Middle Tennessee standards. However, even on sunny days, nothing would happen.

As the job progressed I had to the opportunity to speak with the each person who worked on the pool. They were all very experienced in pool building, two of them who did most of the work, had over 60 years experience between them. We feel very fortunate to have had them work on our pool. They were excellent and have done a fantastic job.

The problem is the owner of the company. As we've come to find out, he is the only employee and outsources every aspect of the construction. This is something that was misrepresented to us. Had we known this, especially in light of the problem we now have, I doubt that we would have gone with him. He is the salesperson/designer, which he is very good at, and the project manager/client contact, which, from our perspective, not very good at. There have been more than a few instances in which we've been surprised by construction details. We're pretty easy going and initially chalked it up to our lack of experience in building a pool. There have just been too many of these "miscommunications" for me to believe it is all our fault. We have had to make substantial adjustments to compensate for these issues, mostly through shifts in the landscaping. Communication about schedules has been much more troublesome.

The problem we are facing now is that the company that he contracted for the Shotcrete, and who was supposed to come back to do the Hydrazzo, is nowhere to be found. For the last week and a half, we have been told by the pool company owner that repeated, daily calls to the Hydrazzo company are going unanswered, so he has no idea when they will be here to complete the pool. I asked why he would do business with a company like this and he said that this is the way it always goes. He always has a problem tracking them down and sometimes this can go on for weeks. He said they treat everyone like this and unfortunately, they are the only ones in the whole state of Tennessee that he trusts to do the job, especially since they did the Shotcrete.

I'm really stuck. This project is entering week 17 and I now have no idea when it might be complete. I never would have thought in January we'd still be building this pool in May. Money wise were even. He has been paid for all the work to date, but we still owe him for the Hydrazzo. I don't know how to bring this job to completion. What recourse to I have to get the pool builder to complete the job? Should I start looking for someone to do the Hydrazzo, and accept the risks involved in doing that? What would you do?

Attachments

• SANY0513.jpg
    SANY0513.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 301
  • SANY0517.jpg
    SANY0517.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 301
Man, that really sucks. That's one reason I went with a big pool builder with several store fronts. There reputation means the world too them versus a one man show who can dissapear in the blink of an eye and reorganize the next day under a new name. I wish you luck on this. Maybe the contractors on the forum can give you some advice.

That's going to be quite nice when complete!

I too am rather easy-going, and understand completely your position. Been there.

I would review the contract, and remind the PB of his promise. Ask him for a revised timeline. If he is not able to give you a direct answer, seek recourse via the contract, and perhaps infer that you are willing to share your story in a very public manner after informing him that you checked his reputation and found it flawless, which is why you chose him. I'd also remind him of all that you are satisfied with as well, but make it crystal clear that his actions are unacceptable and you are at your wits end.

I would also see if you can contact the two pro's you felt comfortable with, and seek their assistance/advice.

At the end of the day, people often mistake kind and gentle people as weak people, and in order to reverse that, I have found it critical to expose, either gently or roughly (as deemed necessary at each stage of progress or lack thereof) their unethical and uncommunicative behavior.

I am going to stand up for the pool builder, at least a little, sometimes in more remote areas there are few choices in people that do specialized work like shotcrete, the choice may be between the one that does a good job, but has poor business practices otherwise, and the one that may show up more reliably, but do inferior work.

I can understand delays; but I personally can't excuse poor communication and abject apathy in regards to a customer. Sounds like there could be a variety of factors, weather delays on several builds at once can cause limited resources to become even more limited. And it also sounds like the OP's gentle demeanor got them placed further down the que from people who were probably more vocal. :hammer:

Again, I've been there. I'm also going through similar now.

Mayhap the PB could give another Hydrazzo qualified sub a shot. At least try, rather than be at the mercy of a no-call-no-show sub he's trusting even after being repeatedly blown off. Could be the PB's loyalty is $$?

I've found that if you can't follow through, due to other people or unforeseen circumstances, it is best to own up and be honest as soon as possible, and offer a new plan. Transparency, it does wonders.

Don't write checks your body can't cash, especially if you know there may be hitches.

So I am in the middle of a similar build...my guy PROMISED to finish up FIRST THING when the weather breaks. Well we've had nice weather for a month...and no where to be found.

Same situation, this guy has a stellar reputation and we are in a small town and he is not only the OWNER but he does most of the work himself, he does have 5-6 guys, but they play a supporting role. His work is outstanding...but slow.

I've simply been ratcheting up the communication and letting him know that I am quickly losing patience, in a very nice way. He promised to be back on the job in 10 days, and that was 5 days ago. In 5 days I think I will have to ratchet it up again, nicely of course.

I would apply a bit more pressure, nicely as suggested and then keep it on...hopefully it will get resolved before it gets ugly. BEST OF LUCK!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.