What is normal startup PSI?

Jul 29, 2011
Limerick, PA
I have a Pentair Clean & Clear 420 Cartridge filter being pushed by a WhisperFlow 2 speed pump. For the life of me I can't remember what the startup pressure was when we first went live. I thought it was 12 PSI in high but it might have been in the low speed when the BP first started it up. I just replaced the cartridges with new ones and did not see a dramatic drop in PSI. Went from about 22 PSI with old cartridges down to about 18 PSI. Just trying to determine if I have something else going on. Flow on the return side seems OK. The filter is rated for 50 PSI max and I run a pressure side cleaner with no booster pump. Is 50 Max a realistic pressure to be hit? Seems high, even for a maximum.

18 PSI would be consistent with a 2 HP pump (full speed) and 2" plumbing.

Is 50 Max a realistic pressure to be hit?
No, for most pumps, pressure cannot get that high. For the 2 HP Whisperflo, 38 PSI is maximum but that would be with the flow rate shut off after the filter (i.e. dead head).

You might want to add an additional pressure gauge downstream of the filter to see if there is some other restriction, like under sized eyeball return fittings, etc., or for that matter just go unscrew the eyeballs and see if the pressure drops considerably.

Thanks. I'm not using eyeballs at all.
So, if your returns have no eyeball fitting, you are not really getting the best flow from your system. The point in eyeballs is it gives you the ability to direct the flow to establish circular movement so the water constantly flows past your skimmers....helping them gather debris.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.