Opening and odd water level

May 12, 2009
This is our 4th season opening using the BBB method. Pool water was clear with no color, however this year the water level was about 12 inches lower than it should have been. We usually drain the water to below the skimmer and for some reason it is a foot lower than normal. I have checked all around the liner just above the water line and above and couldn't find a hole/tear. Not sure if back when we closed we had about 4 inches of rain if that might have pushed some of the water or displaced some when it weighted down the winter cover. Anyways...we refilled the pool last night and are hooking up the pump and parts this evening. Is there anything different I should do since the water level started to low this season?

I plan to let it circulate all tonight and then our 1st water sample in the morning, or should I test tonight after we get things running. I figure CYA will be low if even there since we basically had to replace 2/3 of the water. There is some dark sediment in the bottom from leaves, etc that I need to vacuum out. Just need to get my bearings and get this show on the road.

Help! :) and thanks in advance.

Hey, BC,

You can probably get an accurate set of test after a couple of hours of circulation. Post 'em up if you have enough daylight left.

I would do nothing different because of the low water.

Results I just took this morning at 11am- Pool has been circulating about 19 hours or so.....it rained on and off yesterday..outside temperature in East Tn. is 55'F, Water temp..VERY COLD! Pool Thermoter is broken, but I know water is probably around 55-60'F

PH 7.5
CYA- 0
FC- .5 (more like 0)
CC-.5 (more like 0)

Ok guys, So do I need to still test TA and CH?

What should I do next....add CYA and go with the assumption that is is at 0, and start adding 8.25% Bleach?

40 ppm is a good starting point for your CYA. Dose that much, wait 5 days and test again. Adjust it up to 50 if you like....might save a bit on chlorine consumption this summer.

What does your water look like? Still clear? Did you get those leaves out?

Water is clear....most of the leaves are out....there is still some sediment/in the bottom and I plan to run vacuum today....
Should I vacuum first then add my cya and chlorine?
or add CYA ( I use granular placed in a sock hanging over the side in front of skimmer) and bleach at same time-- let that mix then vacuum tonight?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
what FC would you start at- assume stabilizer is at 40 and use that shock level?
consult the FC/CYA relationship chart in Pool School and bring your FC up to the top limit of normal range. I see no reason to shock the pool.

Test TA and CH after your pH, FC and CYA are stable.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.