Got the TF-100 - How messed up is my pool?

Apr 21, 2013
TF-100 just arrived and I quickly unpacked it and began testing my water. As a bit of a background, I have been having many issues with the pool and just came back to a green pool a few days ago. It is better now but still a little on the green side.

Here are my results:

CYA - about 150 (black dot disappeared before numbers started)
FC - 1
CC - 1.5
TC - 2.5
TA - 290
CH - 800+ ( I stopped adding drops at this stage since it wasn't budging) Pool store claimed it was 525.

Standard Kit produced the following:

Chlorine of about 1
PH of about 7.5

I use pucks and ozone for now. I'm prepared to start dumping water if absolutely needed by water is very expensive in Texas.

Thanks in advance for your help. Heading out to stock up on bleach which I will begin to need.

Well, you have some issues for sure. Your CYA and (probably) your CH are w-a-ay too high and the only way to get them in line is through a partial drain (s). Your water bill may be cheaper than you think...it averages around $5 per thousand gallons nationwide.

Next, your chlorine is w-a-a-ay too low but I think you know that. Until you can drain off some water you need to keep chlorine up around 12-14ppm to prevent algae.

To help you get started with a plan of attack, it would be helpful if you tested just the CH of your fill water and report that.

duraleigh said:
Well, you have some issues for sure. Your CYA and (probably) your CH are w-a-ay too high and the only way to get them in line is through a partial drain (s). Your water bill may be cheaper than you think...it averages around $5 per thousand gallons nationwide.

Next, your chlorine is w-a-a-ay too low but I think you know that. Until you can drain off some water you need to keep chlorine up around 12-14ppm to prevent algae.

To help you get started with a plan of attack, it would be helpful if you tested just the CH of your fill water and report that.

Fill water is about CH 120. Any advice is extremely helpful. I am lost and frustrated.

If it was my pool, I would.....

Drain 50% of my water and refill

Test CYA and CH (if CYA is above 60 or so and CH is above 400 or so, do another 50% drain and refill.

Once my CYA reached 50-60 (50 is a bit better), I would start the shock process. You must pay careful attention to how we suggest to shock a pool....it involves lots of chlorine over several days but it will turn your pool crystal clear.

Did you check your water rate?

duraleigh said:

Test CYA and CH (if CYA is above 60 or so and CH is above 400 or so, do another 50% drain and refill.

Once my CYA reached 50-60 (50 is a bit better), I would start the shock process. You must pay careful attention to how we suggest to shock a pool....it involves lots of chlorine over several days but it will turn your pool crystal clear.

I'm not sure but Austin rates are very high. Going to drain most of it and just get this manageable.

Dumped out about 80% of the water over the weekend and just finished refilling.

Here are the results:

FC: 2
CYA: 50
CC: .5
CH: 460 (I guess we have high calcium water)
TA: 160

PH was initially high (8.2) but added acid to get it to around 7.

I started the shock process since the pool had algae in it before and CC was not zero. Added 2 1/2 jugs of 8.25% bleach and now have a FC of 18. I'll test in the morning but assuming no CC, do I need to continue to shock?

Anything else I should be doing at this stage? Thanks in advance.

You should maintain the shock FC level until you pass the 3 criteria to stop. low CC is only one of the criteria. Is there still visible algae? Is the water clear? Have you passed the OCLT?

jblizzle said:
You should maintain the shock FC level until you pass the 3 criteria to stop. low CC is only one of the criteria. Is there still visible algae? Is the water clear? Have you passed the OCLT?

I didn't realize that it was all 3 criteria - I thought it was one of the three. Anyway, water is clear but still has a greenish tint to it. FC was 18 last night and 10 this morning so I added another gallon of bleach. Pool has some bubbles / foaming - is this normal? Will it subside?

There is no visible algae so I will continue the process until all 3 criteria are met.

Thanks.

davevt98 said:
duraleigh said:

I'm not sure but Austin rates are very high. Going to drain most of it and just get this manageable.

austin water isnt that high. Just make sure you call the city so they dont charge you sewer as well.

between 10-11k it is 10/ 1000 gal, $12/1000 gal for above 20K. So maybe $70-90 for half your pool

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Update. Thanks for everyone's help. I drained, refilled, and performed the shock process and passed the OCLT and CC tests. Water is clear and pool is looking perfect. FC was at 14 yesterday so I am waiting till hopefully this weekend to get in the pool once FC levels have subsided. So far, BBB has worked and I am going to be buying more bleach today. I'm hoping not to have to do the shock process again.

davevt98 said:
Update. Thanks for everyone's help. I drained, refilled, and performed the shock process and passed the OCLT and CC tests. Water is clear and pool is looking perfect. FC was at 14 yesterday so I am waiting till hopefully this weekend to get in the pool once FC levels have subsided. So far, BBB has worked and I am going to be buying more bleach today. I'm hoping not to have to do the shock process again.

you might want to look at a stenner pump to automatically add chlorine. I got tired of adding bleach every day. Auto adding the bleach will reduce the chance that you will get lazy and not add chlorine.

mynewpool said:
joshs2000ss said:
jblizzle said:
It is safe to swim when the FC levels are below shock level.

Yes

Josh I believe jblizzle was answering the question if it was safe to swim at or below shock level not asking if it is safe.

Ha, yeah, now that I re-read that, it makes a difference if you switch the it and the is...

Either way, it's still safe. :goodjob:

i always raise my FC to 10-15 before a big party on my indoor pool, it never gets cloudy during use, and 2 hours after the party I use a bag of the chlorine free shock to break up the CC thats in the pool

never had any issues or complaints of burning eyes, I also swim and my suits are all fine also, even my wife who is sensitive to chlorine does not have any issues.

last party took the FC from 5 to 15 2 hours before the party, after the party i had 6FC and 8CC, I shocked and had 13FC and 2CC, I let it run over night with the cover off and had

12FC and 0CC in the morning. :mrgreen:

Nice post, turbo. You have an excellent knowledge of your pool.

I like that non-chlorine shock to clear it out after a heavy load. A bit pricey and chlorine will still do the job but that's a nice, neat way of getting your pool in shape quickly

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.