Testing Help?

Jul 7, 2012
It's too cold to swim yet, but we are new pool owners (new pool completed last fall) so we are trying to learn early while we can.

Here's the results I got from the Taylor 2006 test kit:

Free CL - .5
Comb CL - .5
PH - 7.4
Total Alk - 50
Calc Hardness - 130
Cyanuric acid - 0?

According to our Intellichlor our salt levels are around 3350, which is supposed to be ok for our pool. I don't understand how our chlorine levels could be at .5 if the salt is ok? We did shock it about three weeks ago when we opened it and no algae for the last two weeks.

On the cyanuric acid, I filled the little bottle to the 7 line, then added the reagent or whatever until it was at 14. I shook it for 30 seconds. It was not cloudy in the least.

I double checked both of these tests to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong.

Thoughts?

So I put in my results in the pool calculator. I'm kind of guessing on our pool gallons, but I think I'm relatively close at 27k gallons.

It says we need 252 oz. solid or 650 oz. liquid. Does that seem right? I don't even know how I would go about putting that in in solid form - it's 16 pounds. Seems like it would take a month to dissolve that much.

The calculation seems correct assuming your pool is 27k. Purchase that much CYA and then add (slowly) about 144 oz to your skimmer. That should get you to 40 ppm and then you can add the rest in 4-5 days.

Add only 144 oz because you DO NOT want to overshoot your target. Give the CYA 4-5 days to dissolve and register on the CYA test and then test. If it's right at 40 ppm, you have dosed correctly and then can add the rest.

If your water is clear - you are not shocking, etc and see no reason you will need to clean your filter - you can pour the CYA directly into the skimmer and allow it to dissolve in your filter. The filter must run for nonstop for 48 hours or so while it dissolves - but don't bother testing for 5 days or so. If you need to clean the filter a lot might be lost which is why we recommend the "sock method". I would purchase online - search for the best price since you are buying such a quantity.

OK, so I tested this morning and FC is looking better. I know it's a little early for the CYA, but I went ahead and posted the current reading. We are still dissolving the 10 or so pounds that we started with.

Free CL - 6
Comb CL - 0
PH - 7.0
Total Alk - 50
Cyanuric acid - 33

Now my question is, what should we do about the PH and Total Alk?

If I input the 7.6 PH and the 70 Total Alk targets, it tells me to:
Add 59 oz. of washing soda
Add 127 oz. of baking soda

I believe adding the product to correct one can impact the other, so I don't really want to add both products do I?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We have not posted pics in a few weeks...it has been so hectic...but I will post some soon. We have been doing the non-pool stuff ourselves...and it has been lots of work! We had 9 tons of rock delivered last week, and I have been shoveling it since. Should be done tonight, liner in Sat, and fence in next week. I will message you :-D

Bfassler said:
Now my question is, what should we do about the PH and Total Alk?

If I input the 7.6 PH and the 70 Total Alk targets, it tells me to:
Add 59 oz. of washing soda
Add 127 oz. of baking soda

I believe adding the product to correct one can impact the other, so I don't really want to add both products do I?

Don't worry about your pH. It will go up on it's own because of the salt system. Just put in the baking soda.

Dan

Latest test results:

Free CL - 4.5
Comb CL - 0
PH - 7.0
Total Alk - between 60 and 70
Cyanuric acid - around 55

This is after adding about 8 pounds of baking soda and continuing to add the cyanuric acid over time.

My PH was up around 7.4 and TA up to 70, but both are now trending down again.

I can add a bit more baking soda or washing soda/soda ash based on the pool calculator; still not sure about the impact of the PH on the TA and vice versa. I didn't notice my PH to go up a ton when I added the baking soda.

Please let me know your thoughts on raising PH. Also, what IS washing soda? I see some kind of Arm & Hammer washing soda at Walmart, but it looks like a detergent.

As always, thank you.

Well, I'm still slowly adding cyanuric acid. Worried about the test delay and overdoing it, so it's taking me forever. Anyway, everything else is testing within normal levels. Thought I'd post some pics - water's looking good! Now if it would just get warm enough outside to swim w/o running the heater non-stop...

Pool is looking great. Latest test results:

Free CL - 4.5
Comb CL - 1
PH - 7.4
Total Alk - 80
CYA - 65

I am worried about the CC - do I need to shock my pool? The water is crystal clear.

Well that's odd. The test results I posted just above were from this morning. I thought I'd test again this evening before I got worked up about a shock and the FC was 6 and the CC was 0-.5 (when I added the reagent, the water was just a very faint shade of pink). My FC has been stable between 4 and 5 for a few weeks now. Not sure what would cause it to jump like this. And is it normal for the CC to drop on its own?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.