Long sweep 90° pressure fittings???

Jul 14, 2012
Blountsville, AL
Do they make long sweep sch 40 pressure fittings? i have read here about folks using them, but don't know where you get them. I am getting parts together to re-plumb my equipment and was going to check into this before I bought normal sharp 90° fittings.

Thanks,
David

Uh-oh! Time to stir up the hornets nest a bit. The are DWV 90's and not sched 40. Many here on the forum recommend that ONLY sched 40 be used. My personal take is that while DWV fittings are certainly not as strong, they are adequate for a pool.

I have put on my helmet and am hiding under the desk waiting for the verbal beating I am about to take! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I've used those on the intake side for a few years and have not had any problems. I have gotten sch 40 sweep fittings here flexpvc.com . and use those on the pressure side. Look under PVC-Elbows-90-Sweeps

DWV fittings are not as impact resistant as schedule 40 so as long as you don't whack them or have water hammer, then they are probably ok. But I wouldn't put them on my plumbing.

Also, replacing all the 90s in the plumbing with swept 90s doesn't change head loss by a lot. In most plumbing, it is at best a 1% change. If you are only changing the pad plumbing, it is much less than that. If you really want to change head loss, increase the pipe size. That has much more impact. A change from 2" to 2.5" results in a head loss decrease of about 9% and a flow rate increase of about 7%.

Thanks for all the replies. I now have the sources for everything I need except unions. I found some Hayward unions on Amazon, but I'm not sure if they are the compact versions or not. Anyone have a good source or part # for compact unions? Lowe's only sells the huge unions and the I.D. looks small to me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.