which hole does the vacuum go in? (with pics!)

New pool owner...curious what hole the vacuum goes into? Do I need to move that slide thing over to vacuum? Not sure which hole the hose would attach too. Also, I noticed that the old vacuum hose had a plate that looked like it fit over both holes...not sure I have to use that or not but I just bought a new hose as the other one pretty wore. Thanks for any advice! (haywood sand filter btw)

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo18 ... 0e2be3.jpg

supercanadian:

That picture looks like a skimmer. I have never seen a vacuum attachment in a skimmer - it would be a first for me :) .

Are you using a pressure side vacuum (e.g., Polaris) or ??? Usually, there is a vacuum port in the sidewall of the pool about midway between the longitudinal ends. I would check for one of those.

supercanadian said:
I noticed that the old vacuum hose had a plate that looked like it fit over both holes
I guess you could see if that plate fits over both holes. Other than that, I must admit I'm at a loss on this one as I have never come across that setup. Do you know when the pool was built? If so, it is recommended that you post information on your pool and related equipment in your signature. That way, it will appear on all your posts automatically and will help others that may chime in on this one. Here's how to do it: http://www.troublefreepool.com/what-we-need-to-know-to-answer-your-questions-t10341.html

supercanadian said:
how does the bottom drain work I wonder?
The bottom drain acts as another water intake similar to your skimmers. It aids in water circulation. Also, it acts as a main drain when you partially or completely drain water from the pool.

Does the "plate" look like this:

[attachment=1:1nuw6t8o]Skimmer vac.jpg[/attachment:1nuw6t8o]

This is what my vacuum looks like and I just put that in the skimmer box on the concrete over the whole basket that sits in the skimmer. I'm still very new to this (4th season with an inground) and this is the only pool I've ever had, so I don't know all the other possibilities. It just seems like you were describing something like mine.

[attachment=0:1nuw6t8o]pool vac in skimmer.jpg[/attachment:1nuw6t8o]

Its probably not the best system in the world, but my pool isn't that big (16x32 and about 15k gallons), so it works good for me. Vacuuming into the basket of the skimmer makes it real simple to clean afterward too. Anyway, just sounded familiar, so I thought I'd provide my pics for reference.

Attachments

• Skimmer vac.jpg
    Skimmer vac.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 278
  • pool vac in skimmer.jpg
    pool vac in skimmer.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 276
I have the same Skim Vac as keetman. It works great for light vacuuming, when I don't want to run the Polaris.
The fact that it traps all of the 'heavy' debris in the skimmer, rather than having it go through the pipes to the pump basket makes it a lot easier. You also don't run the risk of having a pine cone or something shoot-up and clog the suction line (had that happen to me before).

Well, did you inherit the pool from a move or did you build it? It might really be irrelevant as its probably the correct equipment either way.....although that's probably a debatable statement ;). I would assume that you're not apt to have too much of an issue unless the pool is really big or deep....then this skimmer vac system will probably eventually become a pain. I don't have an isolated vacuum system, so I can't speak to those, but for the size of my pool (16'x32' and about 4' deep throughout) this is really just fine. I also have an auto-cover, so my pool doesn't get too terribly dirty anyway.

The biggest issue I've had with this setup is getting the vacuum working well. I have 2 skimmers and a main drain along with 2 returns. The skimmers and the main drain are all plumbed separately. For normal circulation, this setup works good....but for vacuuming, the pump is overwhelmed or more accurately....with all three intakes on, the vacuum is underwhelmed. I have to turn off the main drain and the skimmer that I'm not using for vacuuming. Before I do this, I can actually take the vacuum "plate" and pull it out by hand....the vacuum is that weak. After I get it right, the vacuum cleans well and I cannot remove it without relieving pressure somewhere else.

To get this done, it is a bit of a balancing act. I normally will put the vacuum into place, then go to the pump and shut down the main drain. Then I have to slowly shut down the skimmer that I won't be using. If I don't do this, the air in the vacuum hose will cavitate the system and I'll have to start all over. It took me two seasons to really get this down...but now its fairly simple. Just don't shut everything off and jam the vacuum into the skimmer or you might have difficulties.

If any of this is confusing, let me know and I'll try to help you. Glad that the pics helped you and good luck with this new pool.

If you haven't already....take the time to read "Pool School" and follow the system prescribed here on this site. I found this site as I was having my pool built. I wish I'd found it before I found my pool builder because he was a colossal disaster....however, I'm thankful that I found it before I had to completely take over the pool maintenance because it has saved me time, money, and headaches. My pool is almost always crystal clear, my water is almost always in great shape (chemistry speaking), and I really don't spend much more than $30-50 a month on chemicals (bleach and stabilizer). If it weren't for this site and the people here....I'd have been very good friends with the local pool store people. While they seem like nice people.....I'm better off not knowing them professionally :D.

I will say that the reduced time spent cleaning and maintaining the pool gives me more time to sit by it and drink beer......which kind of kills my savings.....but I guess I didn't build the pool to go to work with it!!

Good luck.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It is definitely a learning curve when it comes to the chemical aspect that is for sure! I do have one question not worthy of a new thread. The basket that is on my pump, I believe it is an Pentair supeflow, how do I safely empty that basket? I think I've learned too much on youtube, that I've watched enough videos to be confused now as nearly ever video talks about turning the pump off and then closing a value on the pool plumbing.

I have no valves and want to clean out that basket. Can I just turn the pump off and open up that clear dome and empty it out? I assume so since I have no valves anywhere that I can adjust. I just read something about pressure and water rushing out and want to be sure I don't open something I shouldn't!

supercanadian said:
It is definitely a learning curve when it comes to the chemical aspect that is for sure! I do have one question not worthy of a new thread. The basket that is on my pump, I believe it is an Pentair supeflow, how do I safely empty that basket? I think I've learned too much on youtube, that I've watched enough videos to be confused now as nearly ever video talks about turning the pump off and then closing a value on the pool plumbing.

I have no valves and want to clean out that basket. Can I just turn the pump off and open up that clear dome and empty it out? I assume so since I have no valves anywhere that I can adjust. I just read something about pressure and water rushing out and want to be sure I don't open something I shouldn't!
You want to empty the pump strainer basket.

If the pool is lower than the pump, the most water you can have spill out is what is above the pump in the filter. When you finally get the cover off - and they tend to be difficult - you'll probably hear glug-glug-glug a while. Clean out the leaves, grease up the O-ring with pool lube, and put it back together. It might take a minute to prime. Once it sort of stabilizes in tone, open the air bleed on top the filter (if you have that type) and let the air out.

I was able to successfully vacuum and empty that pump skimmer basket, backwash and rinse the sand filter. I did some water testing (not asking for advice!) not sure i have my levels right so i am going to have my pool store test it just to see what they say. I have not dived headlong into pool school yet but it my plan every free second i get!

right now i am just focused on getting the backyard sort of ready for the long weekend here. but would like to get the pool balance so if it does get warm enough out i'll put the heater on and have my family swim. I am just low on chlorine levels and the one that is confusing me is the alkaline test. The test strips say I am perfect but the chemical testing kit i have says i am very low.

Wanted to bump my old post as I have a question. I don't think I get any suction from my main drain. If something like a bug ends on the bottom it never gets pulled towards the drain.

Googling i found this picture (the first one combo skimmer is what i think i have )
http://blog.poolcenter.com/article.aspx?articleid=6327

OK so how does the drain work? if i moved that flap over the hole that seems to be for the skimmer (it is where i get full suction and put the hose to vaccum) am i to assume that the drain would start to suck? i don't want to move the flap over as I am scared I'll hurt something.

I would have to guess that the two holes have pipes that are joined as moving the flap would do nothing but just plug the return to the pump. I really wish I knew how the builder was or had diagrams!

The goal really is to get suction both from the drain and skimmer.

If i moved the flap over i am thinking the pump would not get any water, would i do damage if i tried it?

Sorry to bump my post but I am curious if I put that flap over either hole if I would do any damage to my pump or pipes. Really curious if I move that flap over and partially cover the hole I know that is drawing down water from the skimmer it would give me suction at the bottom drain as it appears that does not suck at all. just want to be sure I don't damage anything but really i have no idea how the underground pipes are.

My pool only has two pipes coming out of the ground, one is going into the pump, than filter, than heater and then it returns to the pool.

I think that if I cover the hole that I know is drawing down water skimmer that it will draw water from the drain. I have no idea...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.