Ugh, pool store..

Jun 30, 2012
Boardman, Ohio
We had our pool installed this week and have it filled with the pump and filter hooked up and running. I tested the water this morning then had to run my daughter to dance. While she was at dance I decided to stop at a pool shop to check if they carried plain liquid chlorine and to check the price. We are absolutely sold on using BBB for our pool.

The owner of the pool shop was such a "helpful" guy. He told me that plain liquid chlorine or bleach would "absolutely be horrible for the liner and equipment" and that I should use a product that he sells like Bacquacil or one of his chlorine based products. I asked what the difference would be in the harshness of using his chlorine products vs bleach or liquid chlorine given that the free chlorine would be kept at the same level plus I asked about adding all of the unneeded things like stabilizer and algaecide that are in the products he was showing me. He asked me, in a snarky tone, if I was a chemist and said "Ma'am, I've been in business for 30 years and have managed more pools than I can count and what you're planning to do is not only silly but harmful to your pool and equipment." I just shrugged and said "well, I disagree and I guess I'll be going since you don't want to sell me that liquid chlorine." As I was heading for the door he was giving me a price on the liquid chlorine. Geeeez. I plan to avoid pool stores all together and just watch ads for the best prices on bleach.

As an interesting side note, their display pool sitting just outside the building was cloudy. Guess that stuff he uses isn't working out so well for him. :blah:

Knowledge is power! :whoot: I'm a daily swimmer during the swim season. Prior to BBB, my swim goggles and bathing suits would not get through a season. Since switching to BBB, I'm still on the same pair of both and this is going on 2 years. So much for all that "harsh" bleach. Oh well, at least he didn't give you the TDS lecture. :roll:

Ocean State Job Lot is a big box store here and they sell 12.5% "shock" for $3 a gallon. BJs has it this year for slightly more. Much cheaper than regular bleach. When I need chemicals, which so far looks like it won't be often this year thanks to BBB and TFP, I go online.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.