Tried to add suction line for cleaner - I'm not a plumber

Aug 22, 2007
Powhatan VA
My 'ThePoolCleaner' works well but doesn't reach the shallow end. Putting the skimmer at the deep end was poor planning on my part. Anyway, my brother-in-law plumber was over yesterday, and after a couple of Mike's Lemonades we decided we would add a suction line that I could move down the side of the pool for the pool cleaner. He added the 'T' coming off to the side in the picture below. I added a 25-ft piece of 2" flex pipe and a converter fitting to reduce it to 1.5" for the pool cleaner. We primed it and got it going, but it does not have nearly enough suction to work the pool cleaner, even with the pump on high. :x

DSCF0012.jpg

Was this just a bad idea ? Is it a better option to just order some more 'poolcleaner' hose ? I would need at least 3 more sections. I am just really cheap and tried to make it work with stuff I already had.

Thanks for any input.

I dont know what pool stores you have locally, but Ive noticed this year all of my local pool stores are now carrying the sections of pool cleaner hose. Dont remember ever seeing them there before, but this year they are. Might at least be able to save on shipping :)

Jason is right that it should work if you turn off the skimmer inlet.

-Chris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.