First pool opening today...

Jul 10, 2012
Herndon, VA
Had the pool service open the pool today. Upon taking the cover off, the water level was actually full, if not a little high. They vacuumed, turned on the pump and heater, added algaecide and shock. Took them about an hour. Cost: $325. The water actually looks pretty good....blue, but a bit cloudy, can see about halfway down on the steps.

I didn't bother testing the water yet, but I did add five 3" trichlor tablets to the chlorinator. I'm figuring that my CYA (which was around 40 at closing) is probably low. I turned the dial all the way up to 5 on the chlorinator, to get the tablets to dissolve as quickly as possible, so that the FC level stays higher to get the pool cleaner.

Pump is running.....

what should my next step be? I was thinking I'd wait until tomorrow and then do a full test on the water.....

or should I go ahead and do that now?

Pool service fixed the problem with the leaking heater. Apparently, when setting it up, he threaded some plug incorrectly, so he just took it out and twisted it back in....no problem.

So, pool is clearing up nicely...can see the bottom of it. What should I do next?

frustratedpoolmom said:
PH, raise it to 7.4 using Borax. You should test your CYA, I wouldn't assume the number at all. Its too important to not test for it.

I will test it...tomorrow.

I was thinking CYA would have to be lower than the 45 it was last season, being that about 1/3 of the pool was drained when closing.

I'm adding CYA in the form of trichlor tablets at the moment as well, and that should raise the CYA about 14 ppm.

CYA is testing about 25....

so, with the tablets that are dissolving and have yet to register on CYA, I'm looking at a CYA @ 40.

I just checked pH, and it seems to have risen to about 7.2, so I added 10 oz of soda ash.

FC is about 12, so I'm going to shock it to 16.

Anything else I should do?

Water is looking crystal clear, btw.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I guess I'm not seeing the need to shock? You said the opening process included algaecide and shock. You're water is clear now, yes? If you don't see visible algae, I would hold off on shocking. I would remove the tablets temporarily and do an OFCLT tonight (the tablets will skew the results). If your FC holds overnight and your cc is .5 or less there really is no need to raise up to 16. (and for the record, since the tablets aren't dissolved yet 16 is too high anyway.)

Are you planning to use tablets all season or stop at some point?

frustratedpoolmom said:
I guess I'm not seeing the need to shock? You said the opening process included algaecide and shock. You're water is clear now, yes? If you don't see visible algae, I would hold off on shocking. I would remove the tablets temporarily and do an OFCLT tonight (the tablets will skew the results). If your FC holds overnight and your cc is .5 or less there really is no need to raise up to 16. (and for the record, since the tablets aren't dissolved yet 16 is too high anyway.)

Are you planning to use tablets all season or stop at some point?

Yes, the water is clear.

Removing the tablets is not really possible.....it's really hard to get them out of the in line chlorinator. CC is 1, FC is 12.5.

What about the TA of 60? Do I need to raise that?

I wouldn't swim. First, CC of 1 can be an irritant to the skin and eyes. If you turn OFF the chlorinator it won't skew the results because chlorine wont be added (when performing the OFCLT). Lastly, we okay swimming UP to shock level, and you're a bit past it. You can if you would like, but I would suggest showering after and wearing an old suit JIC.

Just checked CYA and FC this morning.

I always have a hard time telling what the CYA is. It appears it could be as low as 20, but perhaps 25. I'm also assuming additional CYA that isn't showing up yet, from the trichlor pucks.

So, assuming 25 - 30 CYA still at the moment. FC was 12 this morning, but I still had CC of 1.

Water is crystal clear. Pump is remaining running 24/7.

If I maintain FC of 12, that should knock that CC down to .5 or 0?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.