Skimmer and drain placement!!

gbabin

May 11, 2013
Hi,

I am in the process of trying to build a pool and stumbled upon this forum. I have sketched it out the best that I can and I am now trying to figure out the placement for the skimmers, drains, ect. Any help with this will be GREATLY APPRECIATED. The wind direction usually comes in from the southwest or from behind the corner of the spa. The pool equipment will be even with the left side of the pool about 40 in front of it. I have been told I will need 2 pumps for this pool one for the pool and spa, and smaller 1 for the shear descents. I am attaching a sketch of my drawing and another pic I made. Also would there need to be anything else on the drawing that will be needed to for construction purposes? Again, any help will be sincerely appreciated.

P.S. I am not able to attatch the second file. I will try to in another post called 2nd post.

GB

Attachments

• pool drawing_3 with grid.pdf
    418.9 KB · Views: 8
My thoughts after just a quick look
1) Skimmer goes at extreme downwind side, no matter how long a pipe run that entails.
2) Awful long reaches to brush in front of the tanning ledge and the raised planter.
3) Plumb the main drain, if you have one, separately, not through the nearest skimmer. Then if you need to drain any water to lower Calcium or just from heavy rainfall, it's easy.
4) On the same note, install a multiport valve that has a waste setting. My life would be so much easier if I had more choices than just filter and backwash.

gbabin said:
Thank you for the reply. What do you mean by "long reaches to brush in front of tanning ledge and raised planters"? Are you saying the tanning ledge is a bit too big?
You will need to brush the bench and the vertical walls, especially when the plaster is fresh. So, the area in front of the tanning ledge is going to be at least 9' plus the depth and some extra to allow you some pole to grip. That's putting you out 12' or so. To the side, and leaning out to get the front of the bench. Right where the 16" is above the dg in "ledge." Same thing in front of the planter. You probably won't be able to reach over the top, so that means brushing from the side. I'm not sure what the solution is, but routine maintenance is something to consider. I just see a backache in the making.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.