New improved Intex plunger valve

Oct 5, 2010
Ohio
Just stumbled upon the redesigned plunger valve.
[attachment=0:m8tlgxje]10747_5.jpg[/attachment:m8tlgxje]

Does anyone have any experience with this? It looks like it might significantly improve water flow.

Attachments

• 10747_5.jpg
    10747_5.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 668
After turning mine to hard and breaking 2 tabs off the inside, I found it is less restrictive. My old intex plunger valves gate only really opened half way, where as the new plunger valve opens all the way.
I broke it before I got to install it so Ive had an old valve on there.

Any PVC 90 degree fitting will flow far better than this "new" valve. Note the next time you are in Lowes or HD how the PVC ball valve completely open to allow 100% unobstructed flow. This is the only modification I made to my pool this year and the flow increase was night and day.......and I thought I had good flow with standard Intex intake and return stuff with 2650gph pump and hard plumbing. Replacing the plungers resulted in flow you would not believe.......I think I may have to much......yup, you read that right. I may starve the pump so I don't have a massive whirlpool (like I do now).

Bob

Our brand new pool has these. They worked great in the off position, but when we turned them on with the pump on they sprayed water everywhere out of the top and jiggled Themselves into the closed position. We ended up removing them and just hooking the water/pump lines directly to the pool

I need to call the company.

bbfarm said:
Our brand new pool has these. They worked great in the off position, but when we turned them on with the pump on they sprayed water everywhere out of the top and jiggled Themselves into the closed position. We ended up removing them and just hooking the water/pump lines directly to the pool

I need to call the company.

be sure the blue cap is tight, its the part under the knob to open/close

just have this on my new 12/24/52" ultra frame.... i managed to break the old type valves on my old pool as they arent designed very well, so maybe these will be more durable.

they also have an air valve i think.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Where was it squirting from? If from the connector nuts, make sure you have O-rings at each connection.

If from the handle portion, the cap that the handle goes through is threaded onto the body of the valve, and can be tightened.

If the leak persists, remove the valve from the pool and disassemble, to make sure the factory installed the internal O-rings properly. If all is well internally, lube the O-rings and reassemble, then try it again.

It was squirting from under the gray part on top that the honeycomb looking thing is attached to

The o rings are there. Connections to the pool were tight and didn't leak. It didn't leak at all in the shut off mode. Just when we opened them up to let the water flow to and from the pump

Is there any real benefit to having these other than at filter changing time?

I have these newer style valves on our new pool, and they are an infinite improvement over what I had with my old Intex, which was two wash clothes stuffed into the inlet and outlet every time I needed to clean the filter. I lost the plugs! I only recently connected my 3,000 gal./hour Hayward pump directly to both the outlet and inlet valves and they seem to have very little problem feeding the pump and keeping everything flowing.

I've got some mods planned in the future (adding solar panels & a through-the-wall skimmer) but I hope to keep them. I don't like the standard PVC ball valves for pool use and the Jandy/Pentair valves are nearly $50. The pump/filter came with one Hayward ball valve and I plan to use it underneath the skimmer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.