Just opened in Indiana

Jul 30, 2012
Seymour, In
Finished topping off the water and pulling the winter cover back and the pool looks great. Thanks to all of you here and the BBB method. Wasn't up long last summer as it was late install. Followed all the directions to get on BBB and closing.

First readings after pulling the cover off are...
FC - 2
CC - 0
TC - 2
TA - 210
CYA - looks to be around 38 real close to 40
PH looks to be maxed at 8.2 if not higher.

Next steps are?

I would first bump the FC up to 3 or 4 ppm. Then, since both your pH and TA are too high, I would lower the pH to around 7.2 using muriatic acid (MA). This will also lower TA. The high TA is contributing to the high pH. Here is the complete process on how to lower TA: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/lowering total alkalinity. Note that it may take some time to lower TA to a point where the pH becomes more stable. At any point in this process, just make sure pH does not go below 7.

Easy enough to start with. Will be hitting the store looking for some MA tomorrow and also picking up some bleach as well. Glad I decided to hard plumb the return and also added a homemade fountain as well. Good time to put it to work to help get the PH back up while working on getting the TA headed down.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.