updated pool chemistry

30,000 gallon IGP c DE filter
    FAC 1.0
    TAC 5.0
    PH 7.2
    TA 100
    CH 300
    CYA 30
    The pool has gone from a swamp to almost clear, perhaps a slight green hue to water. I have added about 20 containers of bleach (182). From my readings on the site it seems I have to keep adding more bleach. Is this right? I have had to backwash the DE filter about 1o0times in the first 5 days but the pressure appears to be fine now. Should I add more CYA?
    Thanks
    Len
    35,000 gallon IG pool. pebblefina sapphire galaxy finish
    2hp Hayward 2 speed pump, Hayward DE600 grid filter, Hayward Heater, Polaris booster and 280 cleaner
    Liquidator

2. Back To Top    #2
    Yes, you need more bleach. Your free chlorine reading of 1 and total chlorine reading of 5 indicates 4ppm of combined chlorine. You need to raise the chlorine to shock level and hold it there until the chlorine holds overnight.

If the pool gets very much direct sunlight, you might want to raise your CYA by 10ppm to reduce UV burnoff of chlorine, but that can wait until you have clear water.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Can I swim in it now before shocking it this evening?
    2hp Hayward 2 speed pump, Hayward DE600 grid filter, Hayward Heater, Polaris booster and 280 cleaner
    Liquidator

4. Back To Top    #4
    I wouldn't. You FC level is below the safe level and CC of 4 can cause skin irritation.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

What brings the cc down, filtration?
    Len
    Liquidator

6. Back To Top    #6
    As JohnT suggested, raising the FC level to shock level (around 13 to 15) with bleach and holding it there with testing and additional bleach till CC goes to zero will get rid of the CC.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

So I added 13 gallons of clorox to my almost clear pool about an hour ago. Using a DPD tablet test, the chlorine level initially read about 2 and then after 15 min becomes greater than five. I have ordered a FAS test and will have the water checked at Leslies tomorrow. I feel as if I am pouring dollars into the pool . It did not take that much bleach to get the pool from swamp to clear. Why is taking so much more bleach now? How can an essentially clear pool consume so much chlorine? If CC is chlorine combined with algae in the pool, what is its fate. How does the CC get removed from the pool? Filtration? I understand that I am adding more bleach so that there is more FC available to kill everything, but what happens to the CC next?
    Len
    Liquidator

8. Back To Top    #8
    Chlorine breaks down algae in several steps. In the first step it combines with the organic material to form combined chlorine (CC). In the second and sometimes third step the CC combines with another chlorine to break things down to something harmless (eventually).