Chlorine sensitivity and small children?

Apr 29, 2008
This weekend was the first time we have swam in our AG pool. My daughter who is 18 months old was able to enjoy the pool for her first time. She developed a slight rash / irritation on her skim after being in the water. About an hour or two after being out of the pool and getting a shower her skin was back to normal. My question is what can I do to reduce this irritation? Is this normal for small children? Should I run a lower amount of CL? My numbers are below and pool spec are in my signature. Thanks.

FCL: 2.4 on SAT 1.8 on Monday
CC: 0
TC: 2.4, 1.8
PH: 7.6-7.7
TA: 120
CH: 100
Salt: 3200
Temp: 76

You didn't list a CYA level. Without knowing that it is difficult to say one way or the other.

Very very few people are sensitive to chlorine, but lots of people are sensitive to things that happen when the chlorine level is too low.

I can give that a try. The SWG is not currently hooked up. I was sent the wrong model so I am waiting for the correct item for goldline (they sent me a strait blade receptacle and I need the twist lock). I am currently chlorination with liquid CL 10%. I will bring it up to 4 ppm tonight and see what happens.

Is it normal for children to react this way with pool water? This is my first child and my first pool so I new to both. I was just worried that a higher CL level would make things worse. I should have know better.

imalittleturt said:
Is it normal for children to react this way with pool water? This is my first child and my first pool so I new to both. I was just worried that a higher CL level would make things worse. I should have know better.

While it is possible for someone to be sensitive to chlorine, it is very uncommon. As was mentioned, you have the same chlorine level as drinking water can have. It is far more common for there to be something in the water that causes the rash, and usually a higher chlorine level will prevent that.

It's not clear from your post whether she showered right after getting out of the water or waited. Chlorine on the skin from the pool continues to work on organic material after leaving the pool, and it could aggravate things if she didn't shower immediately. Certainly an easy thing to try.

Yes, chlorine can cause a dermatitis (rash). So can sunblock, vinyl (pool toys and floaties), insect repellant, sun exposure, and a host of other things. It may or may not be the pool water or its components. Sometimes, one never knows. Also, just because one person's child has been swimming in the pool for "X" years since they were "Y" years old has no bearing on how another person would or could be affected when exposed to the same potential allergens or irritants. Even identical twins have separate allergies and sensitivities.

If it is severe or causes hives or shortness of breath, cease the activity and get to the doctor. Always bathe the little ones once they are out of the pool. Consult a pediatric allergist if needed. Many times, that is the only way to know for sure as to what is causing the reaction.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
257WbyMag said:
Also, just because one person's child has been swimming in the pool for "X" years since they were "Y" years old has no bearing on how another person would or could be affected when exposed to the same potential allergens or irritants.

Agreed, but her question was: "Is it normal for children to react this way with pool water?" I was not stating that just because my kids have been swimming for X years had bearing on how another child would be affected, was just showing in MY case it is not "NORMAL", I am no DR :wink:

Poolidiot said:
257WbyMag said:
Also, just because one person's child has been swimming in the pool for "X" years since they were "Y" years old has no bearing on how another person would or could be affected when exposed to the same potential allergens or irritants.

Agreed, but her question was: "Is it normal for children to react this way with pool water?" I was not stating that just because my kids have been swimming for X years had bearing on how another child would be affected, was just showing in MY case it is not "NORMAL", I am no DR :wink:

Oh, that's fine and you are correct in the statement that it is absolutely not normal. Likely harmless but definitely not normal. One item that I also left out but meant to include is that hypersensitivity reactions or allergies can take years to manifest themselves. Serial exposures to a substance over time, exposures to which an individual has never had an untoward reaction, can eventually result in the body's mounting a reaction to it. Once this occurs, the reaction can (not always) become worse and worse with each subsequent exposure. Therefore, even though you have been fine with cat dander (just an example) for 20 years, this doesn't mean that you will never become sensitive to it. The same is true for any exposure be it chemicals, drugs, environmental products, or otherwise. There is a medical explanation for this called the immunologic/allergic cascade. It is long and pretty boring but if anyone wants to know the full rundown on the "whys and hows", PM me. :)

You may want to get her checked for eczema the next time she's in for a Dr. visit...my kids both had it, and some reaction (mostly rash-type) when in public pools...not sure how/if it was all related, but they would 'break out' alot when they were younger, and seem to be growing out of it. Also I think the 'non-chlorine shock' I use in my hot tub can cause issues sometimes.
But now with the SWG in the pool, and FC around 2 or 3, all seems well so far...maybe when your SWG is up and running and you get the pool balanced for the SWG, it will be better (fingers crossed).

It's not clear from your post whether she showered right after getting out of the water or waited. Chlorine on the skin from the pool continues to work on organic material after leaving the pool, and it could aggravate things if she didn't shower immediately. Certainly an easy thing to try.

My wife gave her a shower as soon as we took her out of the pool.

If you are using bleach/liquid chlorine than you should keep FC at 5 at a minimum and aim for 7 or 8 so you never go below 5.

So right now I should maintain a 5-8 FCL till I get the SWG running. Then maintain a FCL of 3-7. Is this correct.

I guess I can bring the FCL up tonight and keep it above 5 till the SWG get delivered.

imalittleturt said:
So right now I should maintain a 5-8 FCL till I get the SWG running. Then maintain a FCL of 3-7. Is this correct.

Yes. With a SWG you can often do 3 to 5 rather than 3 to 7. There is usually much less variation in the FC level with a SWG than there is with bleach.

ditto here with the eczema...my daughter (just turned 6yrs) also can get rashes at a drop of a hat (started as a baby).

I don't know anything about the pool water chemistry (also new to pools) but, wanted to chime in about a great lotion to help control rashed skin....Eucerin has worked wonders on daughter's skin and on my hands. We use the round tub lotion it seems to be a thicker cream base and it has worked great for us.

chris

I brought up the FCL and brought down the PH (had risen to 7.8). My SWG will be delivered tomorrow so I will be installing it this weekend. Hopefully it will be warm enough so we can try swimming again this weekend and see how my daughter does.

Could a high PH effect a child's skin? The PH was on the border of 7.7-7.8 when she swam last.

Just thought I give you all an update. I got my SWC on Friday and installed it that night. We swam Saturday, Sunday and Monday and my daughter did much better. The FCL is up above 3, PH is down to 7.3 and the water temp was above 80. Each day she was in the pool for about an hour and we did not see any reactions. I don't know if she got use to the water or what. Thanks for your help, there is nothing better than having fun with your children in the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.