DE FIlter leaking from the middle

Jan 12, 2011
Bel Air, MD
Hi all,
My filter is leaking a bit from the middle. How can I fix this? Do I need to tighten that middle part? If so, how do I do that and what tool do I need.

Secondly, do I need to grease the O-Ring? If so what do I grease that with. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

[attachment=0:2gboumep]pool4.jpg[/attachment:2gboumep][attachment=1:2gboumep]pool3.jpg[/attachment:2gboumep]

Try tightening that nut with a wrench. You shouldn't have to lean on it; my filter just has a big wingnut that I turn by hand. Do it with the pump off so you aren't fighting the water pressure. That band is tapered, and so are the two halves of the tank. Tightening it forces the halves tighter together.

If that doesn't fix it, then you have a mess on your hands. You'll need to drain the tank by opening the air valve until it stops gurgling. Then close it up, remove the band, and open the tank. It usually sticks pretty tight. I find a quick on-off creates enough air pressure to pop the thing up. Then you clean the mating areas with paper towels or throwaway rags and clean and grease the giant O-ring with something like Pool-lube. They'll have it in tubes at the pool store, probably on the counter near the cash register. Then you put it all back together.

I tried tightening it with a wrench, didnt fix it. How do I drain the filter? Do I take out the plug from the bottom? Also, on the 2nd picture, that black pipe on the bottom right, is leaking a bit for some reason. Also, that black pipe, makes like a sound like air is coming out or something when the filter is off..

precator said:
I tried tightening it with a wrench, didnt fix it. How do I drain the filter? Do I take out the plug from the bottom? Also, on the 2nd picture, that black pipe on the bottom right, is leaking a bit for some reason. Also, that black pipe, makes like a sound like air is coming out or something when the filter is off..
The easiest way to drain is to open the air bleed on top while the pump is off and let gravity do it for you.

Do you mean that stub of a pipe that points down in "pool3"? That is your backwash port. If it's leaking anything in or out when you aren't in waste or backwash modes, there's a problem with the multiport valve. Try turning it to different positions a few times then put it back to filter; it could just have some grit in there. Sort of like jiggling the handle on a running toilet. :wink: If that doesn't fix it, your spider gasket is probably bad. If you use the search box up top of this page you'll find countless threads describing how to replace it. There are probably videos on youtube, too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.