Floating vinyl liner

May 7, 2013
New Jersey
Looking for help before my husband looses it!
We had a new liner installed in our pool last summer , we never covered it all winter, sigh. So instead of just removing leaves and shocking etc., my hubby decided to empty the pool. So we are now empty and the liner seems to be "floating" on the deep end. We thought vacuuming under the liner with a shop vac the adding water, like the pool guys did last year, would work? Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated! Also, we have a smaller shop vac we hooked up under the liner ,we turned it off because it didn't seem like it was doing much. I was thinking maybe we needed a stronger shop vac? Thanks in advance!!

IG pool with vinyl liner , appx. 20,000 gallons, Hayward Pro-Series S-244T filter, Hayward pump
That's about all we know about our pool we just bought our house last year.

It's floating because there is ground water under it. You probably won't be able to vacuum it down until you either pump the ground water out or let the ground dry. When you add the new water, it will push the water out from behind the liner, but it can be difficult to get things smooth that way.

This is the very reason we recommend against draining a pool unless you have to. Hindsight is 20/20 though.

MassNerd said:
Is there any harm is trying to add water to the pool other than having to drain it out again to let a professional smoothe out the wrinkles? They might get lucky and get a satisfactory smoothness by adding water.

Probably no harm. Give it a shot and see how it goes.

Thanks for the responses everyone! We started filling the pool yesterday just hoping for the best. This morning we are quite full , there's about 3" in the shallow end, and the liner is pushed back in place! :goodjob: There are 2 small wrinkles in the shallow end about 8-10" each. We're really not that concerned about them my husband got one out by gently tugging at the liner. We are quite happy at this point however, I know it could have been worse! I will know search this forum for suggestions on a good safety cover fir the fall lol! We are also going BBB and I just ordered my TF kit, thanks to this site. Thanks again!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.