Yet another convertee asking for assistance

Oct 8, 2007
Asheville, NC
I opened my pool on Saturday and started the conversion process Saturday evening. By Monday evening my water was looking great. I tested my water this morning and had the following results:

FC - 19 ppm
CC - 4.5 ppm
Ph - 7.5
TA - 130
CH - 220
CYA - 0

Although the water is beautiful looking, there is still a lot of dirt and dead slime in the pool. I do not have an automatic cleaner of any sort, so it will take a bit to get the rest of the dirt out. Because of work I can't attend to the pool as much as I did this weekend. What is the next step? I don't want to change out the sand in my filter until I have all the stuff on the bottom of the pool out. Do I continue to keep the water at high chlorine? Should I start adding CYA, or should that wait until I change out the filter sand? Thanks for your help

Keep the FC level around 15 by adding bleach each evening. If you can manage two checks, early and late evening that would speed things up a little. At this point adding bleach in the morning probably isn't worth it. You want to continue doing this until the FC level remains the same overnight. Once that happens you can replace the sand, and only then add CYA.

Quick update. The chlorine has been holding and I got most of the gunk vacuumed up. We changed the sand in the filter. Was that old sand full of nasty clumps of gunk! Put 3 lbs of CYA in the pool and am letting the chlorine levels decrease. My CC is zero. This really was much easier than I thought it would be. I think there are two reasons my conversion went well. First my biguanide level was low, since I hadn't put any in at the end of last season, and because of winter loss. Also I started the conversion on the weekend so I was able to check the chlorine level every two to three hours and keep it high all day. It is amazing how fast the chlorine can disappear. My first application was at dusk and one hour later the chlorine was all gone.

Thanks to everybody who posts on this forum.

Johanna

Ok tested my water this am.

FC 6 ppm
CC .5 ppm
Ph 7.2
TA 120
CYA - didn't measure because I just added 3lb two days ago.

I know I need to lower the TA. I read the sticky on lowering my TA. My concern is that I only have one return and no fountains, etc. I can direct the eyeball up, but what happens to my pool circulation? How long can I have the eyeball up and not have it effect the other chemicals? I may be able to use the winter cover pump to also aerate, if I can figure a way to securely attach it to the top of the ladder. Also because I am not real confident in my color matching skills I don't think I should try to lower the Ph any more. Thanks.

Johanna

I wouldn't be terribly concerned with TA of 120ppm. Probably the only issue you will have is rising pH. My TA has been over 200 most of the time since I've owned the pool. (My fill water is 480ppm TA) With a mesh winter cover to allow winter rain to replace some of the water, I've gotten mine down to 140 this year. I just adjust the pH to 7 when I have to lower it, and splashing and diving does enough aerating to take care of reducing TA a little at a time.

Johanna,

Very nice work on the conversion.

I was just about to post what JohnT has already said!! :lol: :lol:

To answer your question, aeration will have no effect on your other chemistry. It only adjusts Alk and pH.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.