Attempted pool-storeing... over granular Cl

shep377

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 27, 2012
I have a SWG, but I always keep about 3 refillable jugs of 12% Cl in the cupboard for tweaking and shocking. Before last winter close I dumped what I had remaining into the water so I had to replenish the stock. I was taking my son to a practice and ran out to a close by pool store to get a fill.

I was educated by a very irate and impassioned sales person that they never have (and never would) sell liquid Cl. They use granular. They pour them in front of a jet, and sweep them around if needed to dissolve, and a little light shines down from the heavens to illuminate the area where granular was added.

Apparently:

• a> they buy granular in bulk so it is cheaper for me
    b> Cl is far too dangerous to handle
    c> there is SO much work to use liquid of diluting and pouring to use it safely
    d> granular requires no work and once you train it, will get you a beer as you add it

Which launched a story about how they have SOOO many clients who they go to and there is no pattern left on the liner because they pour in the liquid - "It's heavier then water you know? It sinks right to the bottom and will eat the liner"... and I think a hole through the bedrock to the middle of the earth. (hey - that might help with my pool heating...).

I didn't argue, I just thanked her and left the store.

It's also pretty funny to note that every pool service truck I've ever seen has orange and yellow crates just full of acid and 12.5% sodium hypochlorite riding in the back next to the vacuum hose and the poles. Yep. Every last one of them - and there are a lot in Southern California.

Felt bad for an older couple in the pool store last weekend. Lamenting that they could not keep chlorine in the pool while asking the clerk where the tabs and floaters and liquid shock were.

Winger 03 said:
Felt bad for an older couple in the pool store last weekend. Lamenting that they could not keep chlorine in the pool while asking the clerk where the tabs and floaters and liquid shock were.

Next time be a good neighbor and tell them about pool school and TFP. I have done this a few times and they were very receptive actually.

Thought about it, but I did not think they would "get it" with our newfangled thinking.

Spiccolli said:
Winger 03 said:

Next time be a good neighbor and tell them about pool school and TFP. I have done this a few times and they were very receptive actually.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.