TFP Expert
Apr 4, 2007
SW Indiana
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Tried a new injection marinade on a pork shoulder over the weekend. Made for very moist and flavorful meat. This is my adaptation:

Remove the shoulder from the refrigerator and apply your favorite rub.

Boil two ~16oz cans of chicken broth
Take about 3/4 cup of your favorite rub and run it through the blender to reduce to a powder so it will go through the injector. Add the rub to the boiling chicken broth, stir until dissolved and reduce heat to simmer.

Add 1/4 cup barbecue sauce to the broth mix
Add a little Worcestershire sauce.
Add about 3/4 stick melted butter
Add about 1/4 cup olive oil

Stir the heck out of it until it all seems to be thoroughly combined and doesn't want to separate when you stop stirring.

Remove from heat and let it cool to a reasonable temp to handle.
Dilute the broth about 3:1 with apple juice and mix

Inject into the roast until it won't hold anymore.

Smoke as desired

Once the roast is done by a meat thermometer, wrap it in foil and return to heat until the internal temperature reaches about 190. Remove from heat and place in an empty cooler for at least 15 minutes.

This was my first try with this method. Made for outstanding pulled-pork sandwiches. I'm curious how it would work on a leaner cut like a loin. I ended up with about twice as much marinade as I needed. I'll probably cut the butter and olive oil back by about a quarter next time I try it.

Moved this over from "Up in Smoke", since it's more of a recipe. I tried this on a pork loin last weekend, and it turned out very well. The loin won't hold as much marinade as the shoulder, but it was the best loin I've ever smoked. Very moist and tender. I'm hooked.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.