Spider Gasket Help

apwelb

LifeTime Supporter
May 29, 2011
Apple Valley, MN
Well, I just posted about my fantastically easy opening and now I have an issue.

I noticed my water level was falling. I was puzzled. I have a couple patches but I can see them and they looked OK. I waded into the shallow end to check them and literally couldn't believe how cold it was. However, they were fine. So, I went into a kind of panic mode and told my wife to call around and see if we can find a wet suit so I could check the one in the deep end (10' :shock:) The water level had dropped about an inch in an hour. (Looking back I realize I had backwashed it prior to this so I think that's what set this whole thing into motion.)

I went over and shut off the pump and I hear it gurgle at the discharge (I have a black hose clamped to it so I can get the water to the back of my lot when I backwash but it also keeps me from being able to see the water coming out). I knew this noise was not good so I loosened the hose clamp and pulled the hose off, turned the pump back on (filter is set in filter mode) and lo and behold, I have water coming out of the discharge pipe. I tried to re-index and couldn't stop the flow of water. It even leaked in bypass mode.

I felt somewhat (actually, very) relieved that I wouldn't have to go back into the pool to figure things out, but of course I have been to the pool store and on first pass they cannot identify my spider gasket.

Any help identifying this gasket would be great. Pics attached.

It is a Hayward sand filter tank but I am beginning to learn that someone kind of Frankensteined this thing together. I had a similar issue trying to find a replacement plug.

Also, any thoughts on wether I have identified the likely cause would be appreciated. When I removed the control assembly the spider gasket was bulging in a section and was not seated so I feel pretty good about it. Also, as you can see it looks pretty ragged around the edges. Anything else I should replace while I am in there?

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• spidergasket2.jpg
    spidergasket2.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 113
  • spidergasket1.jpg
    spidergasket1.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 113
It doesn't look promising...

I did a little googling. Found this picture:
34981d1328206078-anyone-have-any-experience-rebuilding-multi-port-valves-ultima-ii-spider-gasket.jpg

The thread with the not-good news is here: http://www.koi-bito.com/forum/main-foru ... alves.html

OK, here are 3 more pics. The first one is the assembly, the second is the inside of the top of the assembly, the third is inside the assembly with the top off.

Picture of the filter to follow.

Attachments

• CV1.jpg
    CV1.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 106
  • CV2.jpg
    CV2.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 107
  • CV3.jpg
    CV3.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 106
Richard320 said:
It doesn't look promising...

The thread with the not-good news is here: http://www.koi-bito.com/forum/main-foru ... alves.html

Yeah, I saw that too. I am clinging to the shred of hope that since that assembly doesn't have the hex bolt pattern that mine does, and the gasket is white, that it's better news. Plus, who the halibut puts a control valve on a 30,000 gallon pool that was designed for a koi pond?!? :hammer:

msumoose said:
Here ya go...I think you have a SP714T Multiport, here is the assembly that will fix it.

http://www.amazon.com/Hayward-SPX0714CA ... B002NJO42Q

Thank you, my friend. :cheers: I will check it out.

For the time being I managed to reinstall the existing gasket and make it work. I noticed that on the poly shroud that housed the gasket, one side was chipped and the tab that held the gasket in place at that spot was broken off. So, I lightly sanded that spot to eliminate any distortion into the gasket space and reinstalled the gasket with a little super glue. I am hoping this will hold until I can get the new part. So far, so good. Water is sparkling clear. :party:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.