Second season with TFP

Jun 13, 2012
Cincinnati, OH
Hi

This will be my second season with TFP but my 11th with my pool. Last year, the pool looked great all year. I'm sold.

I just opened the pool today. We have a solid safety cover (it's shot, so I'll be looking for replacement advice later). Other than a small amount of leaves and dirt (oh and a dead mouse), the pool looked pretty darn good. It tested showing Cl right out of the shoot, which is a first for me (closed late Sep). Is this normal and something I just was not getting in past years because I was using the pool stores 1-3 Cl level?

I manually vacuumed and now have the Kreepy going. Just finished my first water tests and here is what I have (Caveat: These are last years chemicals but they have been stored inside in a cabinet):

FC - 4.5
CC - 0 (maybe a smidge)
pH - 7.4
TA - 110
CH - Not calculated
CYA - 50 maybe (past years it was more like 20-30)
Borates - Not tested

As I continue to review things, I'd just like a quick check that I am headed in the right direction. If i did the pool calculator right, I will shoot for a shock level of 16 and add 2.75 gallons of 10% shock. I had to look real hard to find any color after the CC test, but it seems upon opening, I should shock anyway. Yes?

I'll do the overnight test tonight. I have a SWG and I am waiting for the cell to fail since it is my 11th season (open 5 months of the year probably). I sure wish there was a way to just see to what degree it's working. But I want to get the CYA up to 80, and I plan to add CYA tomorrow. The SWG is turned off and I'll leave it off till I get my chemistry where I want it. Should I bring it up first and then shock (new shock level at 21) or can I go as planned.

Anything I'm missing? (I'm sure there is).

There is no real need to shock if there is no visible algae and the water is clear. Just keep an eye on your initial chlorine dose, and if it vanishes too quickly then you do need to shock. Given you had chlorine to start with, that almost certainly won't be an issue, but still worth watching for just in case.

JasonLion said:
There is no real need to shock if there is no visible algae and the water is clear. Just keep an eye on your initial chlorine dose, and if it vanishes too quickly then you do need to shock. Given you had chlorine to start with, that almost certainly won't be an issue, but still worth watching for just in case.

Ok thanks. It looks like it's been open for a month and very clear. should i just boost the Cl from 4.5 to my target value and watch it from there? (4-8 at CYA 50 and 6-11 after I drive CYA up to 80).

jblizzle said:
Yes. never let it drop below the minimum.

Thank you.

Here's a pic of the pool six hours after opening. That's a red Frisbee that the dog dropped in the deep end. She's ready to play.

[attachment=0:1pozs9l3]2013-05-09 19.11.54.jpg[/attachment:1pozs9l3]

Attachments

• 2013-05-09 19.11.54.jpg
    2013-05-09 19.11.54.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 26
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.