Question about best Filter & Pump for my pool

May 9, 2013
Bensalem, PA
I have a 24' round above ground pool, that is approximately 13,000 gallons.

The pool has been in place for a number of years, but the DE filter that had been installed started to get old and leaky so I decided I want to get a new one this year. I also have a feeling the actual pump was too big for the pool (a 2HP pump).

So I'm basically starting over, and need to buy a new pump and DE Filter. So far I've figured out that I only need a 1HP pump for my pool, but I still can't figure out what is the best filter to get.

I'd prefer to buy a 'pump and filter' package, because I'm not very handy with plumbing, and rather not start cutting up PVC piping.

I'm fairly confident I need a 1-HP pump, but can anyone suggest what size filter I would need?

Thanks!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

You are right that 2HP was WAY bigger than you needed. I would suggest a 1HP 2-speed pump as the largest.

Are you wanting to stick to DE? pool-school/pool_filter_comparison

For your pool here are the filter sizes we would recommend as general minimums, with little debris and/or short seasons you could get by a little smaller:
200 sqft cartridge
2.4 sqft sand (21")
35 sqft DE

For your size pool you may find package combinations of filters and pumps, but that is all they are a pairing mostly done for marketing reasons, and would be no different installing than buying the pump and filter you want. Note most of these package deals combine a low to mid range filter with a bargain basement pump.

Re: Question about best Filter & Pump for my pool

Thanks for the info. I had a feeling that buying the pump and filter seperate would be the best bet. Rather spend the money to get the best results. Just a little worried about setting up the plumbing between them.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.