What size fitting for Hayward Union?

Smykowski

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Because of leaks, I'm changing my setup. I've got a Hayward Power-Flo Matrix pump, and I'm attaching Hayward Unions to the pump discharge (the part# is SP1500UNPAK2). I've got 1.5" I.D. braided clear tubing between the pump and the filter, so I need a fitting to connect the union to the clear tube. What size is the male side of the Hayward union? And can I buy the fitting at a big box store, or is it going to be another "patented thread" from Hayward, so I'll have to buy something either online or from the pool store?

If I understand correctly, the union is designed to be screwed onto the pump and the other side "glued" to PVC pipe. So I would think you would just need to use solvent to attach the PVC pipe to the union and then use whatever PVC fitting you need to go to your flex hose.

But, you are correct that the threaded part that attaches to the pump is likely proprietary.

That would be ideal. Here's a picture:
http://www.poolpartsonline.com/p-41739- ... parts.aspx

What I couldn't tell was if the side that was downstream of the pump had to be threaded, or if you could cement to the inside of the pipe.

Put another way, is the downstream side of the Hayward Union designed to be the male end of the fitting, or the female end? Or can I do it either way?

I guess I do not know about those unions. The ones I have used allowed either a pipe to be glued inside, or the pipe was the same size and could be glued on with a coupler.

Not sure what is supposed to be done with those threaded ones.

It may just be a "normal" male PVC thread that you can get a PVC fitting to screw right on ... would not really make sense for that to also be proprietary when the pump side already is.

I wanted to update this thread in case anyone runs across it in the future.

The pump side of the Hayward Union is the funky proprietary size thread. The other side of the union is just a female PVC fitting, which will accept a 1.5" pipe. It can also be a male threaded fitting, which I assume is a standard thread for a 1.5" fitting, but since I cemented the pipe and didn't use it, I'm not exactly sure.

Thanks for the update. My Hayward pump arrived and I was a bit annoyed/perplexed to find that the fittings that I purchased would not fit. Your initial and updated postings helped me 1. realize I was not crazy, 2. informed me the inside of the connection on the pump is threaded, and 3. prevented me from making useless trips to the hardware store.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.