Possible to Have Pool School Quiz Before 1st Post?

Apr 10, 2013
Dallas, TX
Hi,

First I just want to say that I think TFP is the friendliest forum I've ever encountered on the Internet, and I've been on a LOT of forums. The TFP veterans are all very very VERY patient with the newbs who ask the same questions over and over again.

That being said, it is kind of annoying to read 90% of new users post the same thing and have to have the vets all respond with the same boilerplate stuff every time (What are your numbers? What kit do you have? Post your pool specs in your sig. Shocking is a process, not a product. All granular/tabular chlorine products also contain CYA or CH, etc etc)

Would it be possible to force new users to take a short (5-10 question) quiz before they're allowed to post for the first time?

"Force"?.............Wouldn't exactly make this the friendliest site on the net then, would it! I think too many folks come here for just two or 3 questions they have and never end up joining or contributing knowledege later. They still deserve to be answered IMHO.

Poorly worded on my part. They already have to fill out a bunch of forms to get registered - what I'm talking about is just adding a few questions to that. Just like 5-10 multiple choice/true false, nothing hard. I think it would benefit everybody

I'd say pass too. Often users don't understand pool school, and their questions are an attempt to clear up confusion on their end. The site really doesn't get many new users, and the chance you'll scare off some (more work you need to do to join, less people will join) isn't worth the few minutes it takes long time users to scroll past the posts.

In theory it sounds great, but I would have to agree with Leebo and woody.

Not great as in turning people away, great as in helping answer basic questions before they're asked.

How about canned copy pasted response to all the basics....I mean I pretty much do that. Ow but I just recreate the same answer over and over.... If we had some canned responses it could cut down on repetitive posting for the same questions....of course that IS pool school....

The people who answer questions here do it because we enjoy it (at least I know I do!). Even if questions seem repetitive, I still like helping people, and even give slightly personalized responses that newbies don't get from pool school.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Heh you guys are too nice - well as long as it doesn't bother you...

How about this (two parts):

1) Instead of a whole quiz, just have one question saying "Have you read Pool School? Yes/No". Obviously a lot of people will just click Yes without reading, but hey, at least it's pointing them in the right direction.

2) Automatically send them a Welcome email after they join with some basic info (what to put in profile), and the answers to some Frequently Asked Questions.

I actually kind of like both of those ideas ... not sure how easy to implement.

Probably should still let them sign up even if they check NO though.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.