I can't get my chlorine up. please help

Jul 3, 2012
south La.
Hey guys, i bought a house with a pool and i'm an amatuer. I have read the shock method and tried to educate myself as best as i can. I dont have the test kit but i have a local pool store who tests for free and i have been using them. My pool is 30,000 gallons.
SWG
PH 7.7
Alk 110
calcium 200
cya 75
free chlorine .3
total chlorine .5
salt is at 2300 but i had to add calcium and they told me i cant add salt for 2 weeks after that. BTW the pool looks great

My pool store seems to be at a loss as well. I put two tubs of Dy-chlor, 5 gallons of bleach, and some liquid chlorine super concentrate in over the last few weeks and my cholrine level never even gets to one.

Last night i added the liquid chlorine. I dont have the brand handy but it was about 5x the concetrate of bleach if i remember correctly. I just dont see how i'm ever goign to get this pool around 20 when i can't even get it to 1. The pool store recommened i put 3 bags of 'refresh' and said it was a different kind of chlorine??? i take what they say with a grain of salt.

so would your advice be to just keep pouring chlorine in?

UGH ... get a kit and stop listening to that guy. Adding calcium has no affect on when you can add salt.

Read Pool School. Get a kit and trust your own testing.

You just need to keep adding bleach to reach shock level and then maintain it there following the shock process.

So the water looks great, but you can not raise the FC level? What kind of chlorine test is the guy at the store using?

Your pool store is full of it and doesn't know what they are talking about.

Add your salt now if you are sure of your salt level. Abslutely no reason to wait. I hope they didn't sucker you into buying calcium increaser for a vinyl pool.

Chlorine is consumed rapidly, and you can't rely on a pool store to test for you. They are wildly inaccurate, and you need to be testing several times a day.

Your chlorine is rising, but is being consumed quickly. That is normal on opening. You need to test and add more an hour after you first dose in most cases.

whodat? I'll tell you who that is it's a pool store VICTIM! You really need to be able to test on your own. You need to be able to calculate how much chlorine you need to add. You need to be able to determine what you need to add and what you don't. That is what this forum is all about. I was lucky and found it before my pool build. I've never been to a pool store and never shocked my pool.

ok. the pool store kept having me add stabalizer then shock. i think the stabalizer got my CYA number so high the pool wouldn't hold chlorine!?! Add that to the fact that i had no salt and they told me not to add any, maybe the SWG also couldnt generate salt?!?
So started reading here and drained about 20% of my water as prescribed by the calculator and got my CYA number back down to 75.
So now i ask you.
It looks like my numbers are fine except my chlorine.
I don't have any algae that i can see
Should i shock my pool or just get my chlorine up to 5 and then my salt back to 3000?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Since the FC keep dropping so fast, you need to go through the shock process:
pool-school/shocking_your_pool

Once you pass all 3 conditions to stop, then you can get the SWG going (although you can add the salt at any time).

Problem is, the CYA from the store is not likely correct and you can not follow the shock process without one of the recommended test kits.

If your CYA is truly 75ppm, then you need to maintain your FC at the shock level of 30ppm ... I doubt even your pool store can test that high ... thus you need the FAS-DPD test.

You can keep adding a bleach to see when you actually get a FC reading.

Since the CYA is high, your should not be losing a lot to the sun, so it is all fighting something in the water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.