CYA Level with SWG and ORP

acaciolo

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 15, 2008
Northest PA - Lehigh Valley
I just read 2 threads on the forum about CYA levels, and I am not sure which one to follow. 1 thread in the SWG set up advice sticky states to keep the CYA level high...between 60-80 in order to help preserve the cell.

Another sticky about "what the measurements mean" states this:

If you are using an ORP controller, keep CYA below 50.

So...I am using the wonderful Autopilot total control systems, and I am not sure as to where to keep my CYA.

I also added Borax this year...and it seems to have made my water "sparkle" and really, really cut down on my acid consumption!

Thoughts?

Welcome to TFP!

If you have the Total Control system, the ORP sensor will not work properly with CYA above 50. You should keep CYA around 30 to 50. This does result in more PH drift, but the Total Control system's PH regulation takes care of that for you. It also shortens the cell life a little, but the benefit of automation is worth it.

No, my ORP sensor has never been useful. The best I can figure, about one in ten, or maybe slightly fewer, have the same problem I have. No one has ever found a solution that is even vaguely affordable, and even the expensive solutions aren't a sure thing. The big problem is that there doesn't seem to be any way to predict which pools will have problems with their ORP sensor. For outdoor pools it isn't a big deal, simple percentage control is just fine. Indoor pools have a more serious problem because percentage control isn't really good enough indoors.

Because of the CYA limit, you need a larger cell with the Total Control system than you would need otherwise. However, AutoPilot is fairly conservative in their cell sizing guide so it is almost always fine.

odd

This might explain why my orp sensor is givng such off readings. the odd thing is that autopilot specifically suggests a higher range of CYA (think they say 60 or 80-100) I am surprised that they would suggest a range that causes the orp sensor to be inaccurate. In the past, I have kept my CYA at 50...but I raised it this year (because of the post I saw on this forum about why to keep your CYA higher with salt water.) I also confirmed it with Autopilot and they agreed.

I am going to ask my personal salt water guru (sean at autopilot) his thoughts as well.

thanks.

tony
www.monogramcustomhomes.com

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.