Can Quad DE be used without DE?

Terry

Jul 8, 2008
Dallas, Tx
New pool being built. Quad DE filter. I have the spa full and would like to filter the spa so I can balance the water. I cannot charge the Quad DE until the pool is full and have access to the skimmers. Is it ok to run the filter without DE?

Not a good idea. The mesh that holds the DE will capture any particles in the water and clog, requiring disassembly to clean. You can run with the valve set to recirculate, which bypasses the filter.

Thanks for the replies.

John, it's a Quad DE, did you catch that? No mesh (I don't think?) as it has cartridges. My first Quad DE so maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about. :mrgreen: Also, no valve, yet. So recirculate, although a good thought, won't work.

Harleysilo, maybe? I would need some more detailed instructions there. Anyone?

Terry said:
Thanks for the replies.

John, it's a Quad DE, did you catch that? No mesh (I don't think?) as it has cartridges. My first Quad DE so maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about. :mrgreen: Also, no valve, yet. So recirculate, although a good thought, won't work.

Harleysilo, maybe? I would need some more detailed instructions there. Anyone?

Same issue with your cartidges. They have larger holes in them than a standard cartidge, and debris that normally wouldn't get past the DE can get lodged in the cartridge.

From the manual:

"Never operate filter in excess of three (3) minutes without use of diatomaceous earth. Diatomaceous earth
is the substance that filters the water, the filter cloth merely supports the diatomaceous earth. Operating
without diatomaceous earth will damage filter elements and shorten filtering cycles."

Okay so we know you can't run the filter without DE. The question is can you get DE into the filter without skimmer operation.

So is everything set up to run both the pool and spa separately? I mean can you run your pump off of spa water only? Or will it always draw some water from the pool (skimmer and main drain)? IF you can just operate the spa only, then couldn't you add DE through spa drain? Obviously you would have to get the DE underwater near the drain, and risk it going everywhere in the spa.....

If pump always pulls from pools drains and skimmer, can you shut off skimmer, such that it's only pulling water from drains?

If you can shut off skimmer couldn't you add say 1lb. of DE at a time into pump basket and turn on for a few seconds, maybe 15-20. Then shut off, add another pound and repeat till you've added required amount?

It is typically recommend for the DE to be added in/at the skimmer. Which may allow a nice long run to the pump before it hits the filter. I don't know how shortening that run via dumping in pump would affect the DE spreading out and covering all the grids evenly. That is the big question.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.