pump starts for a few seconds and automatically turns off

michmike

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 11, 2011
Houston, TX, USA
hi all,

my very old century centurion 1hp pump and it started giving me some problems today.
basically, when I turn on the pump it stops a few seconds later (sometimes in 15 seconds). the pump simply turns off.
also, when it starts, it is making a noise that is louder than usual.

I am suspecting (without evidence) that either the shaft or the bearings are at fault here and the pump automatically shuts off itself to prevent overheating. however, during those few seconds, water is flowing through the pump and I can see the motor rod turning fine

One other key thing to note. once it turns off you can't turn it on again right away. after a little bit of time, you can hear a clicking noise, and then the pump can turn on again. Obviously a few seconds later, it shuts off again.

any ideas on what this might be or where to start? my pool is beautiful now and if I can't fix this soon, it will turn ugly soon :)

Re: pump starts for a few seconds and automatically turns of

Sounds like overheating. Check if the capacitors are still good, but if it is making a lot of noise, the bearings are likely the problem.

Might want to consider ordering a new motor for the pump (like a 2-speed) or a whole new pump if you think the wet end is too old for some reason.

Mine lasted a couple weeks after it started doing that cycling and then something happened to melt part of the inside of the motor.

I wonder if it is economical to replace the entire motor vs getting a new pump. this pump is old for sure. would the capacitors still be the problem if the pump starts ok and runs and pushes water for 15 seconds?

I started researching new pumps tonight and I am thinking of going with a Pentair SuperFlo 1.5hp 2 speed. I currently have 1hp, but I would go up to 1.5 if I have to buy a new one since I just installed solar heaters on my roof (have not used them yet). when its summer time and I want to use solar heaters, I can crank it up to high speed, and in the winter I can go to low speed without the solar.

however, I have two really big problems which might prevent me from making this purchase:
-The new pump has to fit in a space that measures: 24 inches length, 10 inches width. I couldn't find online any specs on the superflo to indicate their dimensions :(
-I could not find how you can change from high speed to low speed and if that's something that can easily be done.

If it's a capacitive start motor it probably has an internal centrifugal switch that disconnects the capacitor after the motor is up to speed. Sounds like that switch may be flakey and not disconnecting, causing overheating. Excellent time for a new 2 speed motor.

thank you for the late night replies. does anyone know of the dimensions of the Pentair SuperFlo pump?
also, would 1.5hp be good if today I am using 1hp and I am happy. assume that the solar heaters are on first floor roof and the water has to go up about 9ft.

thanks guys!

I have a big solar array that is far from the pool on single story and the 1hp works just fine.

There is a dimensions drawing on they Pentair website I think.

Also the Superflo pumps come with a speed selection switch on the motor.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

thanks guys. my filter is Pentair FSNP 48. would it be able to handle 1.5hp pump?
I looked at the manual from Pentair and it did not have the dimensions unfortunately. but it does seem that this Pentair superflo model is one of the smallest in footprint pumps.
would the installation for a 2 speed pump be very hard?

The dimensions are not in the manual, they are in the MORE tab on the website:

SuperfloDimensional.jpg

The electrical installation would be the same as any 1-speed pump because the switch it built-in. The plumbing uses union fittings which are also easier to deal with.

The filter will be fine with the 1.5HP, but that is just going to cost you more money upfront and more money on electricity to run.

EDIT: Also note that the switch is on the back of the motor which is not shown in the picture ... thus, I am not sure it will fit ... post up a picture of your equipment pad.

I ordered the new pump (Pentair 340042 Stainless Steel SuperFlo Almond 230-Volt 60-Hertz Single-Phase 2-Speed Pool Pump, 1-Horsepower) and it will arrive in by Saturday morning. Amazon had it for $484 shipped. I am just hoping I don't have a green pool by then. I will put some extra chlorine and run the aquabot tonight.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Hope it fits ... or you can adjust the plumbing to give more room.

Looks like prices have gone up since the fall ... I managed to find it for ~$400.

thanks guys for the continued support. I have one last quick question. looking at the wiring diagram, the manual is incomplete at best.
in my old pump, I had only two RED wires coming off my timer and being connected directly to the pump.

this new SuperFlo pump has 4 different options where the wires can do without any instructions on where to put the hot ones (each of those options is numbered 1, 2, 3, and 4 --- 3 and 4 are on the same connector by the way). Here's their diagram. I have the 2-speed pump with a switch in the back, which I assume is what they call a toggle switch.

any idea where I can connect my two red wires that produce 230 volts?
thanks!

Attachments

• WP_20130511_002.jpg
    WP_20130511_002.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 101

michmike said:
thanks guys for the continued support. I have one last quick question. looking at the wiring diagram, the manual is incomplete at best.
in my old pump, I had only two RED wires coming off my timer and being connected directly to the pump.

this new SuperFlo pump has 4 different options where the wires can do without any instructions on where to put the hot ones (each of those options is numbered 1, 2, 3, and 4 --- 3 and 4 are on the same connector by the way). Here's their diagram. I have the 2-speed pump with a switch in the back, which I assume is what they call a toggle switch.

any idea where I can connect my two red wires that produce 230 volts?
thanks!

I think posting this might have caused me to answer my own question. ONE of my red wires should connect to the black wire from the toggle switch. the other RED wire should go to number 1. can someone verify?

also, I assume when the toggle switch is up it means high speed, and when it is down it means low speed.

Pretty sure everything you realized is correct. There should also be a ground wire running from the timer to the pump.

jblizzle said:
Pretty sure everything you realized is correct. There should also be a ground wire running from the timer to the pump.

the diagram from the manual does talk about a ground wire, but my previous pump did not have one. I guess I have to go buy one and connect it. thanks for the advice. I assume the ground wire is the green wire as shown on my timer.

is bonding what is shown on that other picture with my Polaris booster pump? (where you connect a wire to the pump metal structure)

Attachments

• WP_20130512_002.jpg
    WP_20130512_002.jpg
    402.3 KB · Views: 86
  • WP_20130512_003.jpg
    WP_20130512_003.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 84
  • WP_20130512_004.jpg
    WP_20130512_004.jpg
    312.6 KB · Views: 82

I assume you know this, but that timer is completely bypassed. Pump is powered permanently regardless of timer or manual switch operation. The dial will go around, though.

Durk said:
I assume you know this, but that timer is completely bypassed. Pump is powered permanently regardless of timer or manual switch operation. The dial will go around, though.

yes it was bypassed while I was working on it. I put the wires and the on/off dongles back and it is working as expected now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.