At what point should I raise TA? Acid questions also..

Sep 19, 2007
N. AL
Latest test numbers:
FC 6
CC 0
TC 6
TA 80
CH 260
pH 7.4
CYA last time I tested it was between 80-90, closer to 90, about 2 weeks ago. (PB also overdosed this, uugghhh)
Water temp 90

I have been working on bringing my TA down from 140 where it was when PB opened the pool in April. I had thought I would add borates but now am not sure when I will do it. My TA is now 80..how low can I safely let it get before raising it? I do use the bag of soduim bicarb to raise it right?

I have noticed my acid comsumption is considerably less, I can now go about 10 days before I get up to 7.8 and then use about 7 cups of muriatic to get back down to 7.2ish. Should I add a smaller amount of acid more often? Is 7.8 too high or is that alright to drop it then?

I would bring the TA level down a little more, to 70, before adding borates (if you are adding borates). I wouldn't normally lower TA below 60, given your CYA level, though you probably could if you really wanted to.

Keeping PH between 7.2 and 7.8 is fine in general. When trying to stabilize PH increases there are some small advantages to holding PH between 7.6 and 7.8. You won't go quite as long between acid additions though.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.