Solar panel install

Aug 22, 2010
Hi All. Thanks again for all your past help! Anyway I'm about to start a new pool project, installing 8 4x10 aqua therm panels I picked up on Craigslist. I've been studying g this forum and the web and have a few questions/concerns that hopefully someone can help with.

I'll be running my piping down a slight hill before it goes up to the roof. I'll have about a 5-6 ft drop from where my pump/pool is, then about. 60 ft run to the house, then up to the roof which is another 25 ft or so. Will I have issues with the panels draining? Will the pressure be enough when the panels aren't bei g used to push water up that hill back into the system? I was p,anni g on putting a t in athte lowest pt for winterizing. My pump is a jandy plus hp 2hp. Any thought is this is enough pump? When we built the pool, I asked the builder to rough out for solar and he did. I attached a pic but do I need another check valve between the pump and the 3 way?

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 186
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 186
Ok, just a few thoughts, you probably want to set up a bypass around the current gas heater, so water flows through it or the solar, but not both. You should be ok with the current pump. I just installed 11 4x12 panels located about 15 feet above ground level, and am getting about 42-48 gpm with my 1.5 hp Jandy Flo Pro 2 speed pump on high, I do have a very restrictive DE filter in there too. The dip should not be an issue other than a place to trap water that might freeze in the winter. Also I would suggest using 2 inch pipe to minimize your flow restriction, your on the borderline of where 1.5 inch would start building excessive backpressure at optimal flow (about 5 gpm per panel) one big concern is overpressurizing solar panels, so you will want to include a bypass around the heat system also in case your 2 HP pump is overkill (might be, but I would not bet on it.)

Ike

I would think that would work fine, as I said you are on the border line of it making measurable difference, but since the cost difference is so low it is probably best to go ahead and use 2 inch. There is some good information on installation techniques at http://h2otsun.com/ it is of course geared towards their product with some bias in the wording, but never the less lots of good generic information, also the Aqua Therm installation manual is well written and has good information it it. How do you plan to attach the headers, I ended up using the AquaTherm optional aluminum header clamps (well the elm distribution rebranded ones for the 2 inch headers) on my TechnoSolis panels (headers are within .05 inch of the same diameter as the Aquatherms).

Ike

The solar panels I bght came with the regular hose clamp brackets, which I was planning on using. Im also planning on replacing the end caps, the hoses and relief valves, just as a precaution. The panels I am using are about 8yrs old, so im going to use new parts. Should I upgrade to the other brackets?

Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.