Solara solar heating system

I just installed a set of TechnoSolis panels on my roof to replace an old worn out solar heater that came down when the roof was replaced last year. When shopping I considered around a dozen brands of panels and never ran across the Solara name, even now after googling them I am not sure what they do, other than perhaps remarket various alternative energy products. When it comes to selecting a pool solar heat system there are a number of factors that you should consider in selecting the right solar panel, these include how you plan to mount them, what sort of performance you expect, if you want this to be a DIY project, if so do you want to design it out in detail, or do you want a one size fits most (or perhaps no one) kit in a box system?

I found that the solara was a Maytronics product (makers of the Dolphin robots), but you are right could be a re-brand. They are interesting as they are glazed or something. Seem to claim that much few panels are needed, but not sure I would believe that without seeing some performance data.

http://www.maytronicsus.com/Solara.aspx

Also may not be available for DIY as Isaac points out.

Yeah, I spotted that spec sheet after posting, I would be ware of those, no warranty if sold over the internet, and standard warranty through dealers is only 12 months. Glazing is not needed for pool solar heat unless you are in a COLD climate and are looking for year round heating. People are often confused by the difference between peak temperature and maximum heat transfer, glazed panels allow higher temperature differences, but unglazed can transfer nearly as much total heat if the pool temperature is close to ambient (they can't heat a hot tub when there is snow on the ground, but do good on those cool days when you just want the water warm enough to swim in)

I looked into the Solara panels.Dealer only(for the most part),sold anywhere dolphin cleaners are sold.Can be bought for a DIY install.Panels are roughly 2'X4',cost about $300 a panel.You can connect 2 or more panels together.As for glazed,I believe thats some what stretching things a bit IMHO.They have a plastic cover that goes over them.Do they work well,I don't know i have never seen them in action.I just have a hard time believing that a 2'X4' panel can work as well as a 4'X20' panel.I maybe wrong I just didn't want to spend $300 to find out.

Heres a product I've been looking at lately http://www.h2otsun.com/sizing.html You can buy these for DIY also. http://www.powerstripsolar.com/store/index.html http://www.h2otsun.com/index.html

Wow what pricing, I only paid $270 each for my 4x12 panels. The hot sun power strips were on my short list, but were almost twice the price of the Techno Solis panels I ended up going with, for that kind of money I can afford to replace almost all of mine once if they fail.

Yeah they are not cheap but they are the only company who will warranty their tubes on the panels if they freeze.I talked to them to see about some 7' long panels and they quoted me $4.00 sq.ft. It seems they have alot of short pieces left from other orders so they were willing to deal.

Freezing really should not be a problem if they are put up right so they can fully drain, and for the price difference you could easily add an air compressor to purge them with low pressure air when freezing weather was approaching.

Danielle, I could not see where you are from in your little name block. I am assuming you are from nowhere near me so this does not sound like a commercial. First I install solar pool heat: lots of it. installed my first solar thermal system in 1983, so, I have been around this a bit. I don't believe in DIY on homes as they are too valuable to just let a rookie do work on it. I hire pros to work on mine even though I have trucks and tools and employees and we could do most anything. the result is a home which is low maintenance and will hold its value and will be trouble free. Second, most Americans mistakenly buy something for their home based on its first cost: just look above and see no one mentioned life cycle cost. So, for pool solar, Hands down, Heliocol will provide you with the lowest life cycle cost of any solar pool heating system other than their commercial system. I install and repair others if the manufacturer refers them to me. A not so close second place would be techno Solis mentioned above. there are numerous reasons which, only a pro can know after having multiple installs of each to compare. A Heliocol system comes installed with a twelve year warranty on the panels and a servicing dealer who usually warranties the remainder of the system for a year (we do 2) . Heliocol is the largest maker of panels, the design is 30 years olds and works and parts and panels are always in stock. In all the years of doing this I have never replaced a Heliocol panel under their 12 year warranty: I NEVER GOT A CALL FOR IT! I have gotten calls to replace sunbleached Heliocols which were over 15 years old. Yet, with Techno solis, the nature of the beast is such that I do get warranty calls and to their credit they honor their 10 year warranties and send me a new one for the client whom I have to charge for labor. The only calls I have gotten for Solara are DIY jobs gone wrong as the client invariably knows nothing about heat gain, heat loss, and fluid dynamics and is then shocked that they have undersized or underpiped their system, or, that they have pushed their pump past its limit, or, have forgotten a key component (usually the vacuum breaker). So, in order Heliocol then Techno solis and whats available after that in my view is just spending money you are going to have to spend more money or time on in the not too distant future. Thanks for reading Sean

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.