Is this a bad idea?

May 26, 2012
We tried to siphon the water off our cover a few days ago, but after 24 hours decided that we're taking water out of the pool, too. So now I have clear water under the cover and the green murk on top. The cover is shot anyway, so is it a bad idea to cut a hole in it near the skimmer and then use a vacuum hose to pump some of the water off using the pool pump...backwash to waste? There shouldn't be too many leaves, just a bunch of maple seed pods. I just hate to see me dump too much of the much in the pool.

What often happens is a lot of water ON TOP of the winter cover weighs down and "displaces" the pool water - it gets pushed up and out over the top rails or through any openings like an open return or skimmer. It appears you are lowering the pool water when it fact it was already lowered - the weight on top being reduced just reveals what has happened but it appears one way when in reality it's something else. I would remove all the water from the top of the cover and not mix what's on top if at all possible. It's a lot easier to balance clear water underneath with fresh water than the try and clear murky water added to pool water, plus balancing the fresh water needed to replenish the levels.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.