Need advice on what chemicals to add to get it cleared up.

Jun 18, 2010
Southern Alabama
Just trying to get it cleared up from last winter. We let it go thinking we were going to replace the liner. Was green before now is just cloudy.

Pool is 16x40 IG vinyl liner with a SWG and its at 3100ppm. The pool has a right angle and pool depth goes from 3' 6" shallow end to 8 ft on the deep end. My guess is 31000 gallons?
I just added 3 gallons of bleach yesterday and pump has run 8 hours yesterday and couple hours today.

I am using the tf-100 kit to test the levels

Basic chlorine is too high and off the chart it is past 5 and the ph is off chart and is too low it is lower than 6.8.
Other Current numbers are:
FC is 1.2
CC is 1
TC is 2.2
TA is 20
CH is 30
CYA is 15 or less I could still see dot with all solution used.

Any suggestions on where do I go from here on what to add in what order?

Thanks

Re: Need advice on what chemicals to add to get it cleared u

michaelrj9 said:
I am using the tf-100 kit to test the levels

Basic chlorine is too high and off the chart it is past 5 and the ph is off chart and is too low it is lower than 6.8.
FC is 1.2
CC is 1
TC is 2.2

The TF-100 can test chlorine to 50ppm. If your FC is 1.2 and CC is 1, your chlorine is too low, not too high.

michaelrj9 said:
FC is 1.2
CC is 1
TC is 2.2

I'm a bit confused as to how the chlorine is "past 5" and "off the chart", given the FC, CC, and TC results posted. If you are using the TF-100 kit, it sounds like you may have used the OTO chlorine test. I would test again using the FAS-DPD test which is the one that uses the powder. Instructions for running that test are included in the kit.

If you pH is at 6.8 or less, you need to bring that up to at least 7.2 ASAP.

BoDarville said:
michaelrj9 said:
FC is 1.2
CC is 1
TC is 2.2

I'm a bit confused as to how the chlorine is "past 5" and "off the chart", given the FC, CC, and TC results posted. If you are using the TF-100 kit, it sounds like you may have used the OTO chlorine test. I would test again using the FAS-DPD test which is the one that uses the powder. Instructions for running that test are included in the kit.

If you pH is at 6.8 or less, you need to bring that up to at least 7.2 ASAP.

Those numbers FC CC and TC are from using the Tf-100 kit the "basic" CL and Ph I posted 5 for the CL and 6.8 for the ph were using the basic daily ph and CL test kit. Mine is model k1000 from Taylor

So what should I add.

Thanks for all your help

I used this tester in the pic and it showed it is past 5 for the chlorine and the ph was lower than 6.8.

These Results below are from the TF test kit:
FC is 1.2
CC is 1
TC is 2.2
TA is 20
CH is 30
CYA is 15 (or less I could still see dot with all solution used.)

If I use the calculator and use the default TARGET settings it says need to add about 180oz of bleach to raise FC from 1.2 to 4
108oz of borax (could be more as it shows less than 6.8) to change from 6.8 to 7.5
582oz of baking soda to change TA from 20 to 100
103oz of stabilizer or 268oz of liquid stabilizer to change CYA from 15 to 40
(What's better?)

Should I put all of this in at once or a certain order?
I know certain stuff will change the levels of other stuff (like the ph) and don't want to make it worse that it already is.

Any help on what I should put in (and any particular order) and how much will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

How does your water look? You need to raise CYA a little and shock to get rid of the CC and green per directions in pool school.

So raise PH.
Add CYA in sock hanging in front of return.
Then calculate your shock level and start that process.

What color was the OTO test ( the chlorine test in your picture)? Was it still yellow?

Something still seems not right here, on the FC and CC test I think, but lets deal with that later.

First with your TA as low as it is (you did mean 20 not 200), you need to raise that with baking soda to at least 50 ppm. :!: (don't go to 100, you will still go up from 50 as you adjust ph next).

Next you need to raise ph with borax up to at least 7.2. :!: Since you are reading 6.8, you might be much lower than that. Calculate how much [s:3sj7bfqi]Muriatic Acid[/s:3sj7bfqi]Borax you need to go from 6.8 to 7.5, then add it, then test again in 1 hour (with pump running). Then repeat this process until your ph is at least 7.2. At that point retest your TA.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

How does your water look? You need to raise CYA a little and shock to get rid of the CC and green per directions in pool school.
Water is cloudy not really green anymore it is a slight bluish tint. (it was green before adding bleach a week or so ago and cleanings)
The shallow end I can see the bottom and can see if dirt if it was on the ground (but water is not clear) the deep end is cloudy and can barley make out where the main drain is at the bottom but barley can see the outline of it.

Here are some pics not sure if you can see too much because of the sun but...

The pool is never covered gets Southern Alabama sun most of the day.
What color was the OTO test ( the chlorine test in your picture)? Was it still yellow?
It was darker yellow than the 5 on the tester my guess is if the tester would go higher it would of been in the 6-7 range.

The TA was 20 (benefit of the doubt) I only needed 1 drop to turn red 2 drops made it a little darker red (it wouldn't get any more red with more props) I tried it. so I took 2x10 to get 20

michaelrj9 said:
FC is 1.2
CC is 1
TC is 2.2
BoDarville said:
michaelrj9 said:
So what should I add.

FC+CC=TC. The TC of 2.2 posted above is correctly derived from adding the FC of 1.2 and CC of 1. The confusion arose over how the chlorine could be "past 5". Did you test using both the FAS-DPD (which uses the powder) and OTO tests? The OTO test (tester shown in picture above) is designed to show the presence of chlorine (TC). It would be very difficult to interpolate a CC value using this test. I would go with the results of the FAS-DPD test since that is the more accurate of the two tests.

FC+CC=TC. The TC of 2.2 posted above is correctly derived from adding the FC of 1.2 and CC of 1. The confusion arose over how the chlorine could be "past 5". Did you test using both the FAS-DPD (which uses the powder) and OTO tests? The OTO test (tester shown in picture above) is designed to show the presence of chlorine (TC). It would be very difficult to interpolate a CC value using this test. I would go with the results of the FAS-DPD test since that is the more accurate of the two tests.

Yes the "past 5" was with the OTO test. I also did the FAS-DPD (which uses the powder) which was the 1.2 & 1 numbers.

'Today I added 12lb of baking soda now the TA is at 40 (from 20 before) and the PH is i'm not sure :) it is a light orange l(ook at pic) is that around a 7? it's a darker orange than on the chart by the 6.8 but then mine doesn't have a red tint to it either.
My guess it is a 7.

So tomorrow I guess I need to add more baking soda to raise the TA and go from there. 4-8lb probably.
If the PH is close to a 7 how can I raise the TA without the PH going too high?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.