Balancing at first pool!!

Apr 22, 2013
First off i have intex 20x52 ultra with SWG.

-I've read pool school many times.

-My pool called for 220lbs of salt. I added 200lbs to be on safe side. The SWG has not given me the low salt code and says "working" so I guess i'm good.

-I just added stabilizer the other day.

-The main problem I am having is that the pool doesn't seem to be producing much FC. I checked the pool yesterday evening and it had about zero chlorine in it, most probably due to me not having much stabilizer in it at the time. The SWG ran last night for 4 hours and so i checked it this morning and it was on the low side, which i figured it shouldn't be since no sun has been on the pool since the SWG ran. Should i add some liquid chlorine or bleach to help get this pool running?

thedarktitan said:
First off i have intex 20x52 ultra with SWG.

-I've read pool school many times.

-My pool called for 220lbs of salt. I added 200lbs to be on safe side. The SWG has not given me the low salt code and says "working" so I guess i'm good.

-I just added stabilizer the other day.

-The main problem I am having is that the pool doesn't seem to be producing much FC. I checked the pool yesterday evening and it had about zero chlorine in it, most probably due to me not having much stabilizer in it at the time. The SWG ran last night for 4 hours and so i checked it this morning and it was on the low side, which i figured it shouldn't be since no sun has been on the pool since the SWG ran. Should i add some liquid chlorine or bleach to help get this pool running?
I would. You should always maintain the minimum FC level for your CYA, no matter what the source. If the SWG can't keep up, give it a boost with the jug.

thedarktitan:

What is the temperature of your pool water? SWG really don't get going until water temperature hits 70°F or so. If your water is below that temperature, you may need to add supplemental doses of liquid bleach/chlorine.

Thank you both for the quick response.

-The pool temp yesterday at 5 was around 70 degrees.

-Could maybe someone help me with how much liquid chlorine or bleach i should. I tried to use the pool calculator, but was a slight bit confused. Which would be better to use (bleach or liquid chlorine)?

thedarktitan said:
Which would be better to use (bleach or liquid chlorine)?
Both are essentially the same product. The difference is the concentration level of the active ingredient sodium hypochlorite. Liquid chlorine has the higher concentration. Liquid bleach will work just as well, you just need more of it than you would liquid chlorine. If using bleach, stick with plain bleach (no fragrances or thickeners).

I tried to use the pool calculator, couldn't really get the answer or understand what i was looking for. My pool has 8650 gallons of water. So could you please help me figure out how much bleach to add. I plan on going to work once i get off. Again I have the SWG but, I want to add some bleach to help it get started.

(intex ultra 20x52)

I just got home and did some testing. The SWG ran for 4 hours last night and the pump for 6. I tested with hth and the intex strips (i know i know i need to buy a good test kit, but this is what i have for now.) Note we have not gotten in the pool since we filled it on Sat/Sunday.

TH - 0

FC - 0-0.5

pH - 7.8+ on HtH strips - 6.8-7.2 on Intex strips

TA - 80-120

CYA - 30-50 (I still have some in a sock inside the pool)

Salt - 1840 - My instructions called for 220. I added 200. I figured the SWG with give me the low signal, but it hasnt.

Copper - 0.1-0.2

I have another bag of salt
I also went and bought a thing of walmart bleach on my way home.

For the calculator put your volume at the top, your current test results down the left and your target you would like down the right. At the bottom pick your goals to that the recommended ranges show.

You want to keep the FC at least 3ppm, so starting with 0ppm with a target of 6ppm, would be 78 oz of 8.25% bleach.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That is weird ... I guess it all came as a package deal with the pool ... somehow the manual knows the volume of your pool. If we assume that is correct, 220 lbs would put the salt just over 3000 ppm which sounds normal.

Where did that salt number come from?

-Yea i got the number from a salt test strip. You know i figured if it was that low the SWG would not be able to run and give me an error code, but it doesnt it says its working.
-I bought 121 oz jug of bleach. I am thinking about going to pour half of it in the pool and see where that gets me..

I did some testing a little bit ago. Yesterday I had a FC level of 0 with my SWG running 4 hours. Last night i poured about a half jug of walmart bleach in the pool. The sun has not been out much of any today. Tell me what yall think

TH - 0
FC - 6.8-7.2 intex test strips / 7.5 hth test strips
TA - 90-120
CYA - 30-50 - I still have a sock in the pool with some in it. Should i keep it in there or go ahead and take it out.
Copper - 0.1
Salt - 1840 - This is still low, but my SWG has yet to give me the low salt signal.

my apologies here they are again:

TH - 0
FC - 6 intex test strip / 5-10 hth test strips
pH - 6.8-7.2 intex test strips / 7.5 hth test strips
TA - 90-120
CYA - 30-50 - I still have a sock in the pool with some in it. Should i keep it in there or go ahead and take it out.
Copper - 0.1
Salt - 1840 - This is still low, but my SWG has yet to give me the low salt signal.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.