Replacing equipment - should it be changed?

doncaruana

Gold Supporter
Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Aug 25, 2011
Northville, Mi
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
This is actually for a buddy of mine, who just bought a house that didn't winterize the 12K inground fiberglass pool. He's been told the filter, pump, and heater all need to be replaced. In honesty, we had a pretty mild winter here in SE Michigan, although it did get pretty cold for a good stretch. First question is does that sound like what to expect if you don't winterize - all that equipment to be broke?

The second question is, since he's got to replace it, should he make any changes? It's all Hayward equipment - a 1HP super pump, an s244t sand filter and an H150 heater. No idea how old the original equipment was either, but, in a green field, would you replace any of this stuff with different sizes, etc or a different manufacturer?

doncaruana said:
The second question is, since he's got to replace it, should he make any changes?
If replacing the pump is deemed necessary, I would get a 2-speed pump instead of a single-speed. That will save on the electric bill. Two-speed pumps are becoming much more popular and, as a result of increased production, they do not cost that much more than single-speeds.

doncaruana said:
This is actually for a buddy of mine, who just bought a house that didn't winterize the 12K inground fiberglass pool. He's been told the filter, pump, and heater all need to be replaced. In honesty, we had a pretty mild winter here in SE Michigan, although it did get pretty cold for a good stretch. First question is does that sound like what to expect if you don't winterize - all that equipment to be broke?
I suppose if someone eyeballed the equipment and could see where the pump housing and the filter had cracked it would be possible to condemn it right away.

I'd try starting it up and see what happens. If it's already trashed, he's got to replace it anyway and no more harm will be done. If it's not trashed, he's saved $$$ and has gained valuable insight into the pool service's business practices.

Richard320 said:
I'd try starting it up and see what happens. If it's already trashed, he's got to replace it anyway and no more harm will be done. If it's not trashed, he's saved $$$ and has gained valuable insight into the pool service's business practices.

My thoughts exactly! Check it out, at least for a short test. At this stage, it couldn't hurt.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.