When is it time for a new cartridge filter? High PSI

AB

Jan 18, 2011
Houston, TX
Hello,

I have gotten into a cycle where my pump pressure gets up around 30-32 psi and then it is time to clean the cartridge filter. I hose it down and then it goes down to 20 psi. Then 2 weeks later it is back to 30-35!

My pool is crystal clear, pump runs about 10 hours a day, and I have shocked it to ensure there is no FC. Since the pressure keeps going up, is this an indication a new filter is required?

We have been in the house for 2.5 years and I am not sure of the maintenance of the filter before that point.

When you replace a filter, is it strictly on a yearly, 5 yearly, etc schedule... or is it time to replace it when you get high PSI ratings that wont go down with a clear pool?

CYA is around 50, TA, PH at normal levels.

Thanks, Aaron

You shocked it to make sure there is no FC? You mean CC, yes?

Assuming your normal levels are in line with our recommendations, I would say your guess is a good one. How many sf is the filter?

Cartridge Filters can last 4, 5, 6 years depending on their use (were they used to clear a swamp, etc.) and how they were maintained (cleaning routine - see Pool School article on cleaning cartridges). If they weren't used for a swamp and were cleaned and stored properly yes it extends their life. I would say your's is probably done.

Yes - sorry meant to say no CC. Whoops! :)
My other levels are ph = 7.5, TA = 110, CH = 220.

I'm in Houston, so I don't close the pool for the winter - so the cartridge filter stays in year round.

Thanks for the quick reply - so generally a high PSI that does not stay down after filter cleaning (assuming pool levels are good) is the way to tell if you need a new filter?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.