Pump Recommendation?

Apr 28, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
New to pool ownership - just found out today that pool pump motor is dead (it was operating early on in the house buying process, but apparently died somewhere in the last couple weeks :evil: ). It was some kind of single speed, but not sure which exactly. The previous house owners did not leave any helpful documentation and it's clear that the pool was not being properly maintained. Also just found out today that the cartridge filter is almost assuredly the original filter put in around 2004 and never changed or cleaned. Unbelievable. It's amazing that everything isn't broken, but it also looks like maybe the pool wasn't even being used much.

Our pool guy is trying to sell us on a Pentair Intelliflo variable speed, but I am concerned about all the online reviews about them breaking in 2-3 years (for ~$1200, I expect more longevity than that). I am also not entirely convinced we would save that much money, since our pool is small. But I am a pool newbie, so I am not really sure what my best option is.

I'm not really sure what all factors into the pump strength needed, but it's a pool with a spa, and the cartridge filter is giant (like something more appropriate for a huge pool), if that helps.

Should I consider a 2-speed as a better bang for my buck? Is there a variable speed with good, solid quality that I should be considering? I'm already being hit with a ton of move-in expenditures and would like to save some money where I can, but I am willing to invest in quality equipment if it's really worth it.

I'm far from a pump expert but I'll fill you in on what I just went through. About a week ago I had a consultation with a Solar company. The guy said he couldnt find a good way to save us money using solar because we are so efficient at using our rate plan but did tell me getting a variable speed pump for the pool would make an amazing amount of difference in our energy consumption. He didnt sell pumps nor were they part of his equipment set. Which made me feel pretty good about what he was saying. Once he left I started calling around and found install prices from 1600 to 1300 bucks. I also found out that our power company offers a $200.00 rebate and that they will honor that rebate even if you buy a pump online and do the install yourself. They emailed the pump list that they endorse and I found those online at Amazon for anywhere from $600 - 1200 bucks. I havent pulled the trigger yet but figured I would put the info out there for you. Our power company is APS but I'm pretty sure SRP and others offer the same rebate program.

A lot depends on how much you pay for electricity, I know historically Las Vegas has had cheap power, but don't know if that is still true. If so a 2 speed pump is probably more appropriate and much cheaper than a variable speed, the only thing is you need to consider your required water flow for the spa and water features, if it were not for them, then I would say a 1 HP 2 speed would be a good choice, perhaps even over kill.

p.s. I have found some great deals on ebay on new pumps over the years, I just bought my current one from an ebay auction, new in the box for $350 or so a couple of months ago

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.