How long to run Pump?

Mar 22, 2008
I know this has been asked and I have read the stickies but I have no idea how to figure out the amount of Head that my system has. I know I have a Hayward Northstar pump rated at 2HP and a 12,000 gallon pool. I have the performance chart but without knowing the head I can't figure out the GPM.

My question is fro what you know already how long should I be running my pump? I currently have it on for 8 hours during the day, I know that is too long and I will need to run it at night soon to cool it off through the solar panels. So would 4 hours during the day be enough?

Yes, as long as the water keeps looking perfect you can shorten the run time. There are a couple of things to keep in mind. First, the changes are very subtile at first so look carefully and stop when it changes even slightly. Second, you will need longer run times at higher water temperatures. And finally, it can take up to a week for the change in run time to have an effect, if it is going to have an effect.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.