Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How long to run Pump?

1. Back To Top    #1

How long to run Pump?

I know this has been asked and I have read the stickies but I have no idea how to figure out the amount of Head that my system has. I know I have a Hayward Northstar pump rated at 2HP and a 12,000 gallon pool. I have the performance chart but without knowing the head I can't figure out the GPM.

My question is fro what you know already how long should I be running my pump? I currently have it on for 8 hours during the day, I know that is too long and I will need to run it at night soon to cool it off through the solar panels. So would 4 hours during the day be enough?
    12,000 Gallon
    Hayward 2HP Pump
    Solar Panel
    TF-100 Kit
    Built 2004, bought Dec 2007
    BBB All the Way

2. Back To Top    #2
    The real question is how the water looks at any given run time. Run the pump for six or eight hours a day and then shorten the run time for a week or so and see how things look.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    I just changed to 5 hours.

So if the water is sparkling all the time 5 is fine?
    Can I go until the water doesn't look clean? Maybe even down to 4?
    12,000 Gallon
    Hayward 2HP Pump
    Solar Panel
    TF-100 Kit
    Built 2004, bought Dec 2007
    BBB All the Way

4. Back To Top    #4

I only run my filter pump for 2.5 hours per day. Sometimes when I am adding liquid chlorine I will let it run another hour or so.

Titanium
    24,000 gallon inground freeform pool/spa circa 1983 (113 ft perimeter, 625 sq ft) with 350 gallon attached spill-over spa
    2007 2 HP, three-phase Hayward TriStar pump which is powered by an Ikeric VS-200 variable speed drive system
    1983 Laars XE Pool/Spa Heater Type ES 400,000 BTU, 1998 Hayward Super Star-Clear C-4000 cartridge filter (400 sq ft, 4 separate cartridges)
    1998 Polaris 380 pressure-side cleaner w/ 3/4 HP booster pump
    One skimmer :( and one PoolSkim :), One Supervision Galaxy LED pool lamp, Second story solar panels
    Hayward/GoldLine AquaLogic PS4 (replaced 1983 vintage dual circuit Intermatic timer)

5. Back To Top    #5
    Yes, as long as the water keeps looking perfect you can shorten the run time. There are a couple of things to keep in mind. First, the changes are very subtile at first so look carefully and stop when it changes even slightly. Second, you will need longer run times at higher water temperatures. And finally, it can take up to a week for the change in run time to have an effect, if it is going to have an effect.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School