Can someone comment on these opening test results?

Aug 12, 2012
Tecumseh, MI
Just wondering if these numbers make sense...

Winter cover (blue top / black bottom, 4 year full warranty) is still on the pool, but I have filled it back up to a normal level in preparation for opening it up Friday. So I have NOT yet run the pump/filter to circulate the water, only filled it up with water (hose always down at one end of the oval).

Took a water sample (from the non-fill end of the pool) and tested it tonight (KNOWING it won't be perfectly accurate until it's been circulated) just looking for a ball-park on how many jugs of chlorine to have on hand when I open it. The results:

FC = 13.5 (That is NOT a misprint! I assure you that is accurate!)
CC = under .5
pH = 7.3
TA = 140
CH = 320
CYA = 80-90

Questions and comments:
1) Previous owners used TriChlor (and I did too last summer, didn't know any better, hence the CYA #) - I was very disappointed to see it still that high, and am really hoping it drops some once the water is circulated.
2) When doing the CYA test, what is best to have as a backdrop/ground under you as you look for the black dot - green grass? A white counter top? A neutral beige tile floor? Any sugestions?
3) I DID close the pool while still at a high chlorine level last fall - can't find my final test numbers, but I know it had not come down completely (much at all?) from shock level before the cover went on. But still, that FC number really surprised me.
4) If my sig doesn't specify, it's a standard vinyl liner. Are my TA and CH OK?
5) Anyone else really surprised by that FC number? Should I be / not be surprised by that? I was expecting something near zero.
6) I had drained the pool about 1/4 to 1/3 of the way down, so I was really surprised by that CYA number...I really don't want to do a big draining - we are on city water, and drain/refills give me the dollar $ign $hakes. But 80-90 is a big number...
7) Anything else jump out at you? (Likely not, until it's been circulating, right?)

1. yes, fine - high TA doesn't mean anything other than it causes the PH to drift up. Simply lower the PH back down if it does.
2. Not really. When did you close? Did you divide the drop count by 2? I always open with a high residual FC. The opaque cover protects the chlorine so if nothing is left alive when you close you should always open with some FC.
3. Yes, it's high, but you can probably manage with it since your starting off with clear water and your FC is already up. Just stay above your minimum. Over time the number will drop. My first summer here at TFP I ran with CYA over 70 all summer. No problems.
4. Right.

CYA Sidebar - I don't think it matters because the tube has a white background under the black dot.

1) Previous owners used TriChlor (and I did too last summer, didn't know any better, hence the CYA #) - I was very disappointed to see it still that high, and am really hoping it drops some once the water is circulated.

Really won't know until you circulate

2) When doing the CYA test, what is best to have as a backdrop/ground under you as you look for the black dot - green grass? A white counter top? A neutral beige tile floor? Any sugestions?

Outside, back to the sun. If indoors, brightest spot you can find but turn your back to it. Test in the same place (lighting) every time.

3) I DID close the pool while still at a high chlorine level last fall - can't find my final test numbers, but I know it had not come down completely (much at all?) from shock level before the cover went on. But still, that FC number really surprised me.

You did a good job closing.

4) If my sig doesn't specify, it's a standard vinyl liner. Are my TA and CH OK?

Find out in Pool School, but, yes, they are fine.

5) Anyone else really surprised by that FC number? Should I be / not be surprised by that? I was expecting something near zero.

YOu never know, but that is fairly unusual. Be thankful.

6) I had drained the pool about 1/4 to 1/3 of the way down, so I was really surprised by that CYA number...I really don't want to do a big draining - we are on city water, and drain/refills give me the dollar $ign $hakes. But 80-90 is a big number...

Everyone ASSUMES water is outrageous....it seldom is. Do the math first.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.