Pool Opening - Ice/Algae Issues this year - Opinions Please

reindeerboy

LifeTime Supporter
May 27, 2008
Jamestown, ND
Hi all,

I know how to clean up a green pool, but this year seems pretty bad from the normal openings I have had. Plus, I have about 6 inches of ice to deal with.

Here is what I am asking: Would you pull the mesh cover back during the day to let the daylight help melt the Ice so that I can open this pool up soon to start the cleanup process or just leave it covered and have more patience.

This was a really cool spring and we had a snowstorm in April that dumped about 2 feet of snow. It finally melted away the end of April, which is pretty far behind our normal weather. Now I look in the pool and WOW IS IT GREEN! Plus, the ice was so thick this year that it pulled the rubber gizmo from the return line into the pool due to it being an old metal line yet from the 70's. Then it punctured a really tiny hole into the liner. Luckily, I found it and did not see any water behind the liner and I stuck a small round patch onto it. Worked like a charm plus I had leftover liner from when the previous owner. Lucky I guess.

So the other question is that since that metal return line was blown out and I had RV antifreeze in it as a second safeguard and that the line is below the frost line, and the fact that the water has not leaked out from the pool, should tell me that I may have dodged a bullet here right? This year was a brutal winter in ND.

So to recap:

1. Should I pull the cover back to help thaw the ice and may increase the algae more?
2. Leave the cover on and let nature take its course?
3. Thoughts on the return line gizmo coming out during the spring thaw?

Attached are a couple of pictures. I was able to break some of the ice up today in the deep end so it tells me that the sun today did help move it along. Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks people!

Re: Pool Opening - Ice/Algae Issues this year - Opinions Ple

Well if the waters that cold I don't think it will get worse... What are they forecasting in terms of temps/clouds? Sorry to hear you had such a rough winter!

Average finally. 60s with upper 30s to low 40s for lows so I think it has now passed that period of frost in the mornings. Couple chances of rain but the 15 day looks good with 60s to 70s for the most part so it should go quickly. I did leave it off on half of the pool, deep end. This is the thickest part and it gets better toward the shallow end.

I do wish we had about a 5.5 foot pool across the whole thing as the deep end really is not worth it up here in the north for what my family uses it for. Its a 40 year old concrete pool that they put a liner in. Someday, that metal return line, new liner, and a coat of vermiculite across the whole bottom of the pool will take place. Hoping for another 5 years before I get to that point.

Its a good looking pool and serves its purpose and I really hate it being green like it is. Hows your weather in IL? Farmers just started to plant corn up here. That's late too this year.

Good to hear. Hopefully it starts to get better. I have started to fish out the ice from the pool as it breaks up more and more. Time consuming, but its better than staring at it and getting ticked off. We will see as I plan to try to open this weekend if the ice melts fast enough. I also plan to add some water to the pool so that should hopefully speed the process up as well.

Hopefully the return line is good too. No leaks so far so we will see when we add pressure to the whole system.

UPDATE: Ice is gone. Time spent actually netting out the ice and slowly adding some fresh water to the pool broke it up. TODAY is opening day I hope. Weather is not the greatest as its cool today and windy, but it is sunny so that will help. Forecasted to be nice the next 10 days so that will help with the start of this green pool due to an awfully windy and dry fall last year. Winter was really harsh this past year and spring has been even worse, but I think someone must of taken out the groundhog as mother nature must of woke up.

Attached are pics of my GREEN pool. Years past I always used the pool service to open the pool, but realized that all they did was prime the pump and left. So why spend $250 bucks when I can do that myself. As long as there are no leaks, I should be able to save that money and prime it myself. I am going to give it a shot this year and then start the bleach shock bit! Scrubbing and vacuuming to waste is going be a common event for me this next week, but its always worth it. Thought I would document my progress to show others that a Green pool can be overcome with some POP and some back work, OH and a lot of bleach!

Wish me luck everyone! :goodjob:

Attachments

• 2013 May late opening of pool 002.JPG
    2013 May late opening of pool 002.JPG
    141.8 KB · Views: 240

Hi, Chad,

How ya' doin'? I always remember your first posts as you quickly converted from depending on the pool store to managing your pool water yourself.

It's rewarding to see how confident you are this Spring. That pool will sparkle soon!

Thanks Dave. I am well. How about you? Been a busy year, but yea, I feel that this is something I can definitely do. I already can plumb plastic pipe as I grew up on a Dairy Farm and had to learn how to deal with plumbing issues and to fix copper pipe so those trades come in handy now that I have a pool. Should be OK to get this thing going. Once I get it primed and vacuum the pool this first time today, I will then take some more pics to track my progress.

Thanks again Dave!

Got it running! Vacuumed the bottom. I call it Blind vacuuming when you cannot see the bottom of the pool. Now instead of a dark green its a pea green after 3 gallons of Bleach was added. I am not even gonna bother to test it. Plan to add a couple more in another hour then maybe will test it come closer to evening. The race to a sparkling pool is on. Plan to vacuum the sucker again either again tonight or in the morning depending on how much dead algae is there.

I decided to wait to use the brush till I get more of the dead algae vacuumed out of the pool in a day or so. Then the brushing shall commence as well. No leaks! Was not too bad priming the pump. seems to be running as good as when he professionals do it.

Will update more pics later on this evening.

So, I promised a pic and here she is after 8 hours and 6 gallons of bleach later thus far. Coming along nicely I would say. Fairly happy with todays progress and amount of work done on the pool.

Tomorrow: Plan to vacuum the pool early and cook for the women as its their day tomorrow. Steaks for everyone is on the agenda sitting around the hopefully improving pool water. :whip:

Wishing all the moms out there a great "Mothers Day". :cheers:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Vacuumed it this morning and added another 2 gallons of bleach. I did check the numbers and ended up putting in some MA to bring down the PH level. Checked the PH before adding more bleach so I had an accurate test. Coming along good. Here is another pic.

58 today. 90 today, but water is 58. Weird weather. OK, just vacuumed for the 3rd time and here is another pic. Backwashed the filter today due to the algae. Everything is going well except for the 40 mph winds. That I do not enjoy.

I did put my feet in the pool. Running the Fargo Marathon this weekend with the wife so have been training for that the past couple months.

Enjoy the pics everyone and have a great week! I will post one last one in a day or so, just to show the finished product. Still a little cloudy at times, but overall, I am very pleased considering what it was!

:cheers:

Thanks. Now comes just the normal maintenance except for today. I have to vacuum again to waste because we have had 40-60 MPH winds. Dirt blowing everywhere. Sucks! Pool is dirty with junk in it so will wait till wind goes down and then vaccum, add chems, and then put the solar cover on that bad boy! 64 is the temp so its coming along nicely. Hoping to swim by memorial day is the plan. For now, just soaking the feet after training for the marathon coming up this weekend! Should be fun!

So to summarize: 4 days of POP, 15 gallons of bleach, 32OZ of Acid, and some muscle gets it from a swamp to an awesome pool water retreat once again.

Here is the last pic I will post. If anyone has any questions, then fire away!

:cheers:

This is a little off topic, but I have a question for you reindeerboy, and this looks like your most recent post.

In an older post, you mentioned that you use a blue/black Thermo-Shield solar cover, and that you love it, and that you got it from a local pool supplier.

I live in Fargo, ND, so same weather conditions. I was curious if that's still what you use, and if you still use the same kind of cover? If so, what supplier did you get the cover from? I am trying to find a site that sells the Thermo-shield cover, but the only one I can find that has one for a 27ft round pool is in Canada, and actually they only have one for 28' round (would I just have to cut it?). Is there anything special about the Thermo-shield brand, or is any blue/black cover good? Any thoughts you have are much appreciated!

Good luck in the Fargo Marathon! Sounds like it might be raining.

Awesome to see another person from ND. The manufacturer actually is in Canada, but you cannot get them from an online site. Only dealers sell them. Tubs of Fun in Fargo is who I use. Troy Durheim is the owner and has done a great job with all my pool parts, and various supplies. Yes, I do still use that type of cover and its actually on right now. Really good product. This is my third year and probobaly its last year. I get about 3 years out of them. This is a heavier gauge MIL so I like it very much in the ND wind. I actually am stopping there soon today to grab my chlorine order as I strictly use liquid Chlorine at his spring sale. I get it in cases and it lasts me just about the whole season. I use plain bleach for the opening of the pool and then this 12.5% stronger brand for the maintenance so less adding of chems. Thermo Shield helps hold in the heat loss at night, so yes, there is a difference. I have used others and I seem to have the best luck with this brand.

Tubs of fun has a website to with their phone number and information. Troy knows me as I am a regular chlorine buyer from him and maybe if others bought from him, we could get a bigger discount if others are interested.

Thanks a bunch, rain is fine. I grew up on a dairy farm so working in the rain or running in it, really does not bother me at all.

I hope this helped ya. Shoot me a PM if you want more information.

Thank you for the info!

I went to Tubs of Fun the other day, and they have a 17 mil blue/black that they can order. I am working with Bill. I asked what brand it was (and he sounded annoyed that I asked - like it matters!), and he told me it was a "Pool Style". So, unless dealors/distributors re-brand the covers that they get from Covertech, I don't think they carry the same kind any more?? He quoted me around $195, probably before tax though.

I did find one site that carries it:
http://discounterspoolandspa.com/store/ ... 0C241.aspx

but it doesn't come in a 27' round, only 28', and I'm guessing the shipping will be high because it's in Canada....maybe not and maybe still cheaper than the one from Tubs of Fun. So, maybe it would be worth the cost of shipping and pain to cut it just to get the "Thermo-Shield". It doesn't say if it's 8, 12, 16 or 17 mil though..? Are all Thermo-Shield covers the same thickness?

Thoughts?

I get my bleach from Fleet Farm - case of 4 gallon 12.5% jugs for $9.95. Is the bleach that you get from Tubs of Fun cheaper than that?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.