Pool heater and home warranty replacement problem

Aug 22, 2009
Hi all,

I have a VERY old Anthony 325 (325,000 BTU) heater and I am hoping someone here can assist with an issue I am having. We recently had our house tented for termites which required the gas to be shut off. When the gas company came back to relight pilots, he red tagged my pool heater because the burner tray and bottom of the heater enclosure are completely rusted and corroded.

I have a home warranty which covers pool heaters. The pool company came out today and said the heater needs to be replaced, but since it is missing "rain shields," the warranty company is stating that they will not cover the replacement of the heater.

He said it was missing a top and side rain shield. This heater is LONG out of manufacture and I cannot get any info online, but from the one schematic I found, the top looks just like mine does, and I don't see anything that resembles a rain shield on the side.

Does anyone have any photos or info that may help my case? I will post pictures of it tonight when I get home.

Thank you in advance!!

-David

Sounds like a line to get out of covering it ... I have no idea what a "rain shield" is ... ask them to define it and show you where in the warranty they are required.

After looking at info about these warranties, I do not think very highly of them ... either they nickle and dime you for $50-$100 every time they come out (multiple times for the same issue) or they deny the expensive claims for bogus reasons.

Hi jblizzle,

Yeah, sounds fishy to me...fortunately, I have had excellent luck with this warranty company up till now - they replaced my old filter and other various problems around the house.

They are sending a second opinion tomorrow and this guy sounds very nice. The warranty states that they don't cover issues caused by missing components or parts - but unless they can prove to me which parts are missing (and there is NO online info that I can find on this heater), I am going to fight it.

As I mentioned, the top cover is fully intact and there are no other missing covers that I can find.

Thanks!
-David

I have had the misfortune of working with several of these companies. They will do anything and everything to NOT cover things. Pool equipment is the worst. A customer had their claim denied becasue rodents had mad a mess inside and the warranty company said the HO didn't prevent them from getting in.

OK, good news to report - I had them send out a second opinion company who said there are no parts missing and that the corrosion was simply from wear and tear. SO, the insurance company has agreed to replace the heater! Woo hoo!

Anyway, the old heater was an Anthony 325 BTU NG heater. The one they are ordering is a Pentair Max-E-Therm 333btu. Does anyone have any experience with these heaters? Are they reliable? I don't know how they compare to the other Pentair models or to the Raypacks.

Thank you!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks all for the help. I am reading into the 3 models I am considering and am getting conflicting info and recommendations. Here are the 3 heaters I am considering:

Sta-rite Max-E-Therm 333 (SR333HD)

Pentair Mastertemp (not sure if I would need the 300, 400, 400 ASME or 400 HD)

Raypak P-R337A

Any insight into these?

Thanks!

Well, everyone here certainly seems to like the Raypaks - good to know.

At least 400k btu?? I am coming from a 325 and was looking at the Raypak P-R337A with 332,500 btu. My pool isn't all that large! Is there any negative at all going to that large a heater?

We are going to be in this house probably for less than 5 years...given the short term nature, is there any advantage to the Pentair/Sta-rites? Also, is there any advantage to the fiberglass shell of the Sta-rite?

I know I may be asking redundant questions, but this is my first heater purchase, so I am trying to understand all aspects. Thank you for help!

ALSO, I saw the video regarding the noise level on the Max-e-Therm...I assume the Low NOx Raypak has a blower as well? If so, is it as loud as the Pentair/Sta-Rite? My heater is about 10 feet from the pool, so I dont want anything toooooo loud!

Manufacturer suggests larger size is most efficient (may use more gas while running, but doesn't have to run as long). Home warranty may or may not approve higher btu than what you got now though.

I may be wrong, but I think every other heater out there is quieter than the Pentair/Sta-Rite heater(s). I call it the vacuum cleaner...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.