pH and Alkalinity remain high after muriatic and chlorine

May 7, 2013
Charleston, SC
My Charleston, SC pool was hit by two to three weeks of rain, and I slacked on keeping up with it.
Now I am ready to open my uncovered pool for the season, and it had turned very green two days ago, despite the pump running with
chlorine tablets. I did not re-apply algaecide like I should have.

My tests yesterday, after a single or double chlorine powder as well as Chlorox shock read, later followed by algaecide with trace amounts of copper read:
Fcl 1.43
tcl 1.43
CCl zero
pH: 8.1
Alk 191
CH High
CYA 53
The pool calculator told me to use 37 oz. of muriatic acid, which I did.
60 minutes later, I shocked it again with Chlorox.

I did not add the 433 oz. of baking soda, as I have never needed it in the past few years, except maybe once or twice.
I also did not add the 154 oz. of CaCl, as I did not have any; and I never used it before.ting 20 hours

I added flocculent late last night, so pool's been sitting 20 hours.
Today, my chlorine values all read as Hi, and my pH is still high, my alk is 192.
pool remains VERY cloudy, but it at least is blue, not green.

Any suggestions on how to get pH and alk down, as well as clear up the water?
Vacuuming, cleaning DE grids, replacing DE in a.m

My concrete pool likes to have a pH in the 7.4-7.8 range, so I allow it.

Any suggestions? Thank you! P.S. I know to avoid copper algaecides, but I couldn't find my bottle of "quat" that I know is in the house somewhere.
I do use Borax, as well as my silver/copper ion cartridge once I open the pool

Steve
IG 26,000 gallon Gunnite concrete
Built 2001, Charleston, SC
Chlorine tablets in-line.
DE filters (old Anthony pools housing).
In-line Nature 2 silver/copper ions (only use in-season)
Sta-Rite pump
Polaris 3900 Sport (my eternal nemesis!!) - the same pump that pumps water through filter also pumps this, alternatively, via a valve, and my 1st, 2nd, and 3rd one go too slow and get caught on steps, no matter what I do to it!

Re: pH and Alkalinity remain high after muriatic and chlorin

Why do you think you should have applied algaecide? we almost never recommend its use

How did you get those test numbers, they look like something a pool store computer would spit out and some don't make much sense related to the others.

If the test are right there appears to be a lot of stuff wrong with your water, the green you see may well be metals in your water, copper based algaecide will just make that worse.

p.s. I did not mean for that to sound harsh, just to the point, my first advice before getting into this any more is to read the pool school link in the upper right a couple of times, most people get a lot more out of it the second or third time through

I used algaecide because my pool had been dormant for the winter (neglected), we just had a ton of rain, and I am on a marsh with a creek.
It is also overdue for a good vacuuming.
And it had some algae, which I believe is mustard algae.

Shocking didn't do much, so I pulled out the algaecide. I have used it occasionally in the past, with no problems. Only need it when we have been away and the pools been neglected. Otherwise, my in-line chlorinator and Nature2 keep my pool hassle free (aside from my evil nemesis - the Polaris/or the pump that drives it).

I did not want to use one containing copper, but I couldn't find my "polyquat. " I try to keep one on hand for cases like this.

My numbers come from my LaMotte colorQ Pro7 Plus.

It is what it is.

Welcome to the forum. :lol:

Add enough acid to get your pH in the mid 7's. The TA will come down with the pH. You haven't added enough yet and it is important.

Algaecides are good at preventing algae but not so much at killing it. The forum hardly ever suggests using one.

You will find few kind words on Nature2 if you search on this forum. Most of us think it is wasted money.

Most importantly, you have not shocked the pool correctly. Shocking is a process which can take several days and will have your water crystal clear. There is a how to article in Pool School.

Thanks for the advice.

I am a new member, but I have read the pool school in the past, as well as many TFP posts. But I certainly admit to still having very limited pool chemistry knowledge.

I know there are many naysayers. But still, I gotta say, I love my Nature2. Once I get my pool opened up and balanced out, it keeps everything extra clear, and it also helps prevent algae as well. It really works in my pool.

I haven't yet installed it, as I am just opening my pool this week (later than usual this year).

I will sharpen my pencils, get a new backpack, and head back to school! Can someone give me some lunch money? Oh, and I'll need a new iPad. :lol:

I did not add Calcium Chloride or Baking Soda, as recommended by poolcalculator.com.

I will further shock, and blast with more acid.

Thanks again.

Steve

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.