BJ's Winter Heat Pure Ice Melt to Raise CH?

poolneophyte

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 1, 2009
Long Island, NY
I bought a 50 pound pail of Berkley & Jensen (BJ's) Winter Heat Pure Ice Melt hoping that I can use it to raise CH. The label states that it contains pure calcium chloride pellets. The CAS number is 010043-52-4. I looked at the BJ's website but could not find an MSDS sheet for the product. I think it is manufactured for BJ's by Scotwood Industries because I found what appears to be a product with the same name on their website. Their MSDS sheet shows it to contain 90-97% Calcium Chloride, 1-2% sodium chloride, 0-1% strontium chloride and water.

Is this safe to use in my pool to raise the CH?

I received a copy of the MSDS sheet from BJ's and it lists the following chemical analysis:

Calcium Chloride (CaCL2) - 94% Min, 94% typ.
Alkali Chloride (as NaCL) - 5% Max, 4% typ.
Magnesium (as MgCL2) - 0.02% Max, 0.01% typ.
Other impurities (except moisture) - 0.20% Max, 0.10% typ.

So, based upon this information, is this safe to use to raise the CH level in my pool?

Richard,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, it's a warranty thing. I am going to raise the CH up to the minimum for my equipment until the warranty period is over. The only way that I'll do it is if I can use the 50# bucket of ice melt that I bought at BJ's. There's no way that I'm going to pay pool store prices for hardness increaser.

I just want to make sure that the other ingredients (besides calcium chloride) listed are safe. I'm looking for the chemical experts here on TFP to bless this prior to dumping it in my pool.

The BJ's Winter Heat Pure Ice Melt should be fine to use. I assume that the 0.2% of other impurities do not include lots of metal such as iron. Even if you were to add 200 ppm Calcium Hardness (CH) with this product and that the 0.2% were only pure iron, that would be 0.44 mg/L of iron. I doubt very much that all the impurities are iron and maybe none of them are so I think the product is fine to use.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.